BYU basketball report card: Cougars miss free throws, big opportunity vs. No. 13 Oregon
It’s crazy how often a game comes down to free throws, and that was the case in the Cougars' four-point loss to the Ducks.
BYU made just 22-of-36 shots from the charity stripe (61.1 percent), and 12 of its 14 misses came in regulation. When a game goes into overtime, it’s generally not hard to figure where points could have come from to win the game in regulation.
Missed free throws have been a problem all season for the Cougars.
For much of the night against the 13th-ranked and undefeated Pac-12 Ducks, BYU looked like the better team. Give the Cougars a lot of credit for bouncing back strong after a demoralizing blowout loss to Utah a week prior. The Cougars again proved they can play with just about anybody when they are making shots.
Overall, the game is encouraging for BYU going into West Coast Conference play.
Here are the grades for each BYU position and other aspects of the game.
Nate Gagon is a published sports, music, and creative writer. He is also a whole-hearted father, grateful husband and ardent student of life. He can be reached at: email@example.com or @nategagon.
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk (ahem,...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Guard Elijah Bryant announces he is...
- Religious groups react to Boy Scouts’...
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor Harding...
- Cougars say they have learned lessons in wake...
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive line...
- Phil Steele gives tempered assessment... 77
- Morning links: Utah is on the rise in... 74
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 65
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 47
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 34
- BYU looking for another defensive... 33
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 31
- Utah Utes backup quarterback Donovan... 29