BYU basketball report card: Cougars miss free throws, big opportunity vs. No. 13 Oregon
It’s crazy how often a game comes down to free throws, and that was the case in the Cougars' four-point loss to the Ducks.
BYU made just 22-of-36 shots from the charity stripe (61.1 percent), and 12 of its 14 misses came in regulation. When a game goes into overtime, it’s generally not hard to figure where points could have come from to win the game in regulation.
Missed free throws have been a problem all season for the Cougars.
For much of the night against the 13th-ranked and undefeated Pac-12 Ducks, BYU looked like the better team. Give the Cougars a lot of credit for bouncing back strong after a demoralizing blowout loss to Utah a week prior. The Cougars again proved they can play with just about anybody when they are making shots.
Overall, the game is encouraging for BYU going into West Coast Conference play.
Here are the grades for each BYU position and other aspects of the game.
Nate Gagon is a published sports, music, and creative writer. He is also a whole-hearted father, grateful husband and ardent student of life. He can be reached at: email@example.com or @nategagon.
- 5 underrated Disney movies
- 3 men missing nearly 5 months were likely...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone and...
- Returning LDS missionary, father battling...
- LDS Church releases Easter video, campaign
- BYU student claims he was evicted after...
- State bills to protect religious freedom...
- BYU players work out at Pro Day in hopes of...
- Utes to face Duke in the Sweet 16... 207
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 58
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill is making a... 31
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- It's Coach K vs. Coach K as Utah... 22
- Ogden chooses to play as an independent... 21