BYU basketball report card: Cougars miss free throws, big opportunity vs. No. 13 Oregon
It’s crazy how often a game comes down to free throws, and that was the case in the Cougars' four-point loss to the Ducks.
BYU made just 22-of-36 shots from the charity stripe (61.1 percent), and 12 of its 14 misses came in regulation. When a game goes into overtime, it’s generally not hard to figure where points could have come from to win the game in regulation.
Missed free throws have been a problem all season for the Cougars.
For much of the night against the 13th-ranked and undefeated Pac-12 Ducks, BYU looked like the better team. Give the Cougars a lot of credit for bouncing back strong after a demoralizing blowout loss to Utah a week prior. The Cougars again proved they can play with just about anybody when they are making shots.
Overall, the game is encouraging for BYU going into West Coast Conference play.
Here are the grades for each BYU position and other aspects of the game.
Nate Gagon is a published sports, music, and creative writer. He is also a whole-hearted father, grateful husband and ardent student of life. He can be reached at: email@example.com or @nategagon.
- Searchers locate missing family of Olympian...
- BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson has recovered...
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married for...
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah...
- Mormon couple celebrates 75 years of true love
- Pac-12 commissioner 'delighted' that... 139
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 117
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 88
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 85
- Utes notebook: Kyle Whittingham says... 84
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 49
- Playoffs ‘almost... 32
- Utah State's Keeton getting Heisman hype 21