BYU basketball report card: Prairie View A&M brings out the best in BYU
PROVO — Well, that settles it. BYU is the greatest team of all-time.
Or, maybe the Cougars just looked that way in their 100-52 win over the Prairie View A&M Panthers Wednesday night at the Marriott Center.
One of the only real question after this game is how in the world did Texas A&M only beat the Panthers by 10 earlier this season?
Prairie View A&M trivia buffs remember that Mr. T attended Prairie View on a football scholarship, although he was expelled after just one year. Former NFL safety Ken Houston, a 12-time Pro Bowler and member of the NFL Hall of Fame, graduated from the school after it gave him his only scholarship offer out of high school. So did Rock & Roll Hall-of-Famer Charles Brown.
None of that helped Prairie View's men’s basketball team, however, as the Panthers lost to the Cougars by 48 points.
BYU outshot the Panthers 61 percent to 29 percent, made six more 3-pointers on 13 less attempts, and dominated in rebounds, assists, steals, blocks, turnovers and fouls committed.
On the bright side, Prairie View A&M outshot BYU from the foul line, 71 percent to 69 percent.
On an even brighter side, BYU didn’t play zone defense.
Here are the grades for each BYU position group and other aspects of the game.
Nate Gagon is a published sports, music, and creative writer. He is also a whole-hearted father, grateful husband and ardent student of life. He can be reached at: email@example.com or @nategagon.
- LDS Church confirms women's meeting now part...
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve...
- Couple with triplets expecting twins: 'We're...
- Mom of Darrien Hunt being investigated in...
- Prison relocation process slows down
- Friday night lights central, playoffs...
- Mormon father, son say horror genre isn't...
- The Clean Cut: 'Studio C' releases 3 'Hunger...
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 60
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 56
- High school football: State tournament... 55
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve... 51
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 35
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32