Top stories of the year: Mormons who made headlines in 2013
From short-shorts to trick-shots to viral videos and blog posts, 2013 proved to be a year many members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints made headlines.
Although they often were not expecting the overnight attention and their faith didn’t always play a central role in their rise to fame, their works made national news thanks to easy access to technology and social media.
As Today.com explained, “The prevalence of cameras on our phones and computers has allowed us to capture memorable moments from our everyday lives and share them with others.”
The following 20 list items highlight the most-viewed, features-based Deseret News stories of the year in which Mormons made headlines, along with links to some of the other websites they appeared on.
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- General Women's Session focuses on family, home
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- New mission presidents
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone... 176
- 11 things you should know about the... 76
- General Women's Session focuses on... 32
- State bills to protect religious... 24
- The challenges and blessings of... 23
- Millennials are the ‘don’t... 17
- Taylor Halverson: Learning is becoming... 17
- 'Killing Jesus' takes up middle ground... 17