BYU basketball report card: Cougars give UMass an early Christmas
In a matchup of top 10 RPI teams, BYU, ranked ninth, put up little resistance on the road against No. 1 Massachusetts Saturday afternoon. The Cougars never got closer than seven points the final 15 minutes and trailed by double-digits for a majority of the second half before ultimately losing, 105-96.
Christmas appeared to have come early for the Minutemen in the form of the BYU defense.
The Cougars were like a blue-clad Santa Claus that just kept giving UMass whatever it wanted. Chaz Williams, who had 32 points and 15 assists, and his teammates were happy to take advantage. Sometimes 'tis better to receive than give it turns out.
There’s no question BYU is a good offensive team, but too much of the time it seems the Cougars are so concerned with playing fast transition offense that they lose track of everything else — like playing defense.
Here are the grades for each BYU position group and other aspects of the game.
Nate Gagon is a published sports, music, and creative writer. He is also a wholehearted father, grateful husband and ardent student of life. He shoots roughly 94% from the free throw line and can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org or @nategagon.
- Are church youth dances outdated?
- Seeking and sorrowing: Sisters of the Prophet...
- Returned Mormon missionary wins Ms. Virginia...
- The Clean Cut: After dad's death, brother...
- There is no such thing as a bulletproof marriage
- Mystery man who rescued driver from cliff in...
- No playoffs again, but rebuilding Utah Jazz...
- 3 Utes, 1 Aggie and 1 Cougar selected in CBS...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 73
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Ute quarterback Chase Hansen finding... 28
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 27
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 23
- Mountain West Conference announces... 19
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17