10 must-know facts about weather-related home insurance claims

Published: Wednesday, Dec. 4 2013 1:57 p.m. MST

FEMA only pays for temporary living expenses Next » 1 of 10 « Prev

If a home is destroyed in a storm that is later declared a disaster by the federal government and grants are made available, claims still need to be made through the homeowner's primary insurance company, according to John Marini, chief operating officer and vice president at Adjusters International in Syracuse, N.Y.

"Policyholders should understand that their home insurance is their primary source of coverage. FEMA only pays after insurance. For example, when Hurricane Sandy hit the east coast, FEMA determined that there was enough damage to make an 'individual assistance' declaration and they provided grants to homeowners to help them with temporary living expenditures such as finding food and shelter, etc. These grants were not intended to rebuild their homes," says Marini.

Next » 1 of 10 « Prev
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Most recommended
to comment

DeseretNews.com encourages a civil dialogue among its readers. We welcome your thoughtful comments.
About comments