BYU basketball report card: Cougs pulverize Mean Green in the second half and win easily
It is difficult to find big-picture meaning in games like BYU versus North Texas at the Marriott Center Tuesday night. Generally, these are no-win propositions for the favored team. If you win easily, well, that’s what you were supposed to do. If you lose or allow the other team to stay close, then it’s all doom and gloom.
For the first 20 minutes it was closer to the latter for BYU as it led North Texas by only seven at the break. The Mean Green played well, looking nearly like athletic equals to the Couagars. Ironically, this actually set BYU up with an opportunity to impress in the second half, and it did exactly that.
BYU came out of the break looking like the Mean Blue with a quick 7-0 run, capped by an Eric Mika alley-oop jam. North Texas trimmed the lead back down to eight with 14 minutes left, but from there BYU put its foot down, stretching the lead to 18 less than three minutes later, and pulling away for an emphatic 97-67 win.
The Cougs were led by their guards, as usual, with Tyler Haws, Kyle Collinsworth and Skyler Halford combining to hit 22-of-31 shots and Matt Carlino pulling down 10 rebounds and dishing out 11 assists. BYU finished with a staggering 60 rebounds in the game. To put that in perspective, going into the game the Cougs averaged 43.1 rebounds per game — 16th highest in the country.
Here are the grades for each BYU position group and other aspects of the game.
Nate Gagon is a published sports, music, and creative writer. He is also a wholehearted father, grateful husband and ardent student of life. He shoots roughly 94% from the free throw line and can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org or @nategagon.
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Elizabeth Smart on 'Today': 'Life couldn't be...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- LDS temples grow ever closer to members
- Relatives of Springville family 'shocked and...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote 'Meet...
- Carrie Underwood shares her Christian faith...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37