High school girls basketball: State's best teams ready to hit the hardwood
In a mere three months, five high school girls basketball teams will be crowned champions.
From opening night, which took place a week ago for many teams, to the final games of the season, 129 schools will battle across Utah for those state titles.
In some classifications, there are heavy favorites heading into the season. In others, such as 4A, preseason voting by the coaches was all over the map. Just two of last year’s five champions were voted as preseason No. 1s, while two 2013 runners-up were voted into the early top spots.
Here is a class-by-class look at the teams to beat during the 2013-14 season:
Sarah Thomas earned a degree in Mathematics from the University of Utah and is currently pursuing an MBA at Westminster College. She has been covering sports for the Deseret News since 2008
- 'Duck Dynasty' daughter sticks to Christian...
- Utah family adopts 2 newborns 6 weeks apart
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- LDS Church releases video, topic page...
- Researchers: Patients have only themselves to...
- Vernal oilfield company seeks help finding...
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26