High school girls basketball: State's best teams ready to hit the hardwood
In a mere three months, five high school girls basketball teams will be crowned champions.
From opening night, which took place a week ago for many teams, to the final games of the season, 129 schools will battle across Utah for those state titles.
In some classifications, there are heavy favorites heading into the season. In others, such as 4A, preseason voting by the coaches was all over the map. Just two of last year’s five champions were voted as preseason No. 1s, while two 2013 runners-up were voted into the early top spots.
Here is a class-by-class look at the teams to beat during the 2013-14 season:
Sarah Thomas earned a degree in Mathematics from the University of Utah and is currently pursuing an MBA at Westminster College. She has been covering sports for the Deseret News since 2008
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- General Women's Session focuses on family, home
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- New mission presidents
- New temple president
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 121
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 33
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 20