High school girls basketball: State's best teams ready to hit the hardwood
In a mere three months, five high school girls basketball teams will be crowned champions.
From opening night, which took place a week ago for many teams, to the final games of the season, 129 schools will battle across Utah for those state titles.
In some classifications, there are heavy favorites heading into the season. In others, such as 4A, preseason voting by the coaches was all over the map. Just two of last year’s five champions were voted as preseason No. 1s, while two 2013 runners-up were voted into the early top spots.
Here is a class-by-class look at the teams to beat during the 2013-14 season:
Sarah Thomas earned a degree in Mathematics from the University of Utah and is currently pursuing an MBA at Westminster College. She has been covering sports for the Deseret News since 2008
- New temple presidents
- New mission presidents
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Dave Rose anxious to get...
- President Uchtdorf recalls being a refugee,...
- Skateboarder dies after being shot in...
- Hruska's Kolaches: BYU alumni introduce...
- Police identify longboarder shot in possible...
- Parishioners hold last service at church...
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 68
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 51
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 49
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 34
- Rose excited for near future stability,... 22
- Pac-12 champs: Utah wins baseball title... 22
- Column: Baylor should pull plug on its... 19