High school girls basketball: State's best teams ready to hit the hardwood
In a mere three months, five high school girls basketball teams will be crowned champions.
From opening night, which took place a week ago for many teams, to the final games of the season, 129 schools will battle across Utah for those state titles.
In some classifications, there are heavy favorites heading into the season. In others, such as 4A, preseason voting by the coaches was all over the map. Just two of last year’s five champions were voted as preseason No. 1s, while two 2013 runners-up were voted into the early top spots.
Here is a class-by-class look at the teams to beat during the 2013-14 season:
Sarah Thomas earned a degree in Mathematics from the University of Utah and is currently pursuing an MBA at Westminster College. She has been covering sports for the Deseret News since 2008
- Jabari Parker posts photo of himself with LDS...
- For his brothers: American Fork family with 4...
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior season
- Faith leaders leave Vatican with high hopes...
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high...
- Teen in Springville family found dead left...
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat
- The Clean Cut: Michael Bublé and Idina...
- Dick Harmon: Outwardly lobbying Big 12... 136
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 92
- Runnin' Utes lose defensive battle at... 68
- BYU to welcome FCS team Savannah State... 39
- Utes still have outside chance at... 30
- Brady Poppinga: From an early age I... 24
- Utah moves up to No. 20/21 after... 22
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21