High school girls basketball: State's best teams ready to hit the hardwood
In a mere three months, five high school girls basketball teams will be crowned champions.
From opening night, which took place a week ago for many teams, to the final games of the season, 129 schools will battle across Utah for those state titles.
In some classifications, there are heavy favorites heading into the season. In others, such as 4A, preseason voting by the coaches was all over the map. Just two of last year’s five champions were voted as preseason No. 1s, while two 2013 runners-up were voted into the early top spots.
Here is a class-by-class look at the teams to beat during the 2013-14 season:
Sarah Thomas earned a degree in Mathematics from the University of Utah and is currently pursuing an MBA at Westminster College. She has been covering sports for the Deseret News since 2008
- Are church youth dances outdated?
- Seeking and sorrowing: Sisters of the Prophet...
- Returned Mormon missionary wins Ms. Virginia...
- The Clean Cut: After dad's death, brother...
- There is no such thing as a bulletproof marriage
- Mystery man who rescued driver from cliff in...
- No playoffs again, but rebuilding Utah Jazz...
- 3 Utes, 1 Aggie and 1 Cougar selected in CBS...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 73
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Ute quarterback Chase Hansen finding... 28
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 25
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 23
- Mountain West Conference announces... 19
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17