BYU basketball report card: The future is now as Bartley and Mika lead the Cougars past the Aggies
BYU took over the last 10 minutes of the game to pull away from the Utah State Aggies Saturday night at EnergySolutions Arena. With 10 minutes remaining, the Cougars led by just one at 59-58. From there, they outscored the Aggies 26-16 to pull away with an 85-74 win.
Perhaps the biggest thing BYU did to reverse its fortunes against a tough Utah State squad was to stay out of foul trouble, committing only nine fouls. Prior to this game, the Cougs were doing well to commit only nine fouls in a half, let alone the entire game. The Aggies shot just six free throws compared to 27 for the Cougars.
BYU also boosted its assists tally, dishing out 18 compared to seven in its loss to Wichita State. The Cougars helped their cause further by committing only seven turnovers while forcing the Aggies into 16. Fouls and turnovers were the difference in the game.
Freshmen standouts Eric Mika and Frank Bartley IV both came up big in a game BYU had to have. Mika pulled down nine rebounds, five of them offensive, which was a big improvement over the single rebound he got against Wichita State. Tyler Haws continued to knock down free throws, and Kyle Collinsworth had a good all-around game to lead BYU.
Here are the grades for each BYU position group and other aspects of the game.
Nate Gagon is a published sports, music, and creative writer. He is also a wholehearted father, grateful husband and ardent student of life. He shoots roughly 94% from the free throw line and can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org or @nategagon.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- A kiss, a prayer: The last hours of MH17's...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Dear daughter, I hope you never conform to...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 95
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 77
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 53
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 43
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 28
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26