BYU basketball report card: The future is now as Bartley and Mika lead the Cougars past the Aggies
BYU took over the last 10 minutes of the game to pull away from the Utah State Aggies Saturday night at EnergySolutions Arena. With 10 minutes remaining, the Cougars led by just one at 59-58. From there, they outscored the Aggies 26-16 to pull away with an 85-74 win.
Perhaps the biggest thing BYU did to reverse its fortunes against a tough Utah State squad was to stay out of foul trouble, committing only nine fouls. Prior to this game, the Cougs were doing well to commit only nine fouls in a half, let alone the entire game. The Aggies shot just six free throws compared to 27 for the Cougars.
BYU also boosted its assists tally, dishing out 18 compared to seven in its loss to Wichita State. The Cougars helped their cause further by committing only seven turnovers while forcing the Aggies into 16. Fouls and turnovers were the difference in the game.
Freshmen standouts Eric Mika and Frank Bartley IV both came up big in a game BYU had to have. Mika pulled down nine rebounds, five of them offensive, which was a big improvement over the single rebound he got against Wichita State. Tyler Haws continued to knock down free throws, and Kyle Collinsworth had a good all-around game to lead BYU.
Here are the grades for each BYU position group and other aspects of the game.
Nate Gagon is a published sports, music, and creative writer. He is also a wholehearted father, grateful husband and ardent student of life. He shoots roughly 94% from the free throw line and can be reached at: email@example.com or @nategagon.
- Mormons popping up all over TV these days
- Ebola outbreak prompts evacuation of LDS...
- Doug Robinson: Erin Andrews switches teams...
- Peavler: Bronco Mendenhall and BYU embrace...
- Southern Utah infant dies after being left in...
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- Can BYU put together a special season?
- Utah company films aerial video of renovated...
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford... 110
- BYU football: Cougars announce future... 88
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 73
- Utes fill three future football... 69
- Can BYU put together a special season? 60
- Peavler: Bronco Mendenhall and BYU... 59
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 54
- College football: BYU receives votes in... 35