BYU basketball report card: Haws comes to life in time to carry BYU past Texas
The Texas Longhorns led the majority of the second half, but BYU found a way to lead when it mattered most. With 1:45 remaining, the Cougars took the lead on a Tyler Haws jumper and held on via the free-throw line to seal it.
Haws scored 19 of the last 21 points for BYU after enduring one of the least impressive stretches of his college career — scoring just two points and doing little else in the first 25 minutes of the game. The last 15 minutes, however, he redeemed himself and then some.
On one hand, BYU was lucky just to be in the game at the end. It took a combination of other-worldly 3-point shooting (10-of-12), Texas missing 11 free throws and 18 3-pointers, and the officiating suddenly turning in BYU's favor the last 10 minutes for the Cougars to come away on the plus side in this one.
BYU survived despite being severely outmuscled in the paint by a much bigger Texas team that was more than happy to throw its weight around. Featuring three young highly recruited big men, all at least 6-foot-8 and 240 pounds, the Longhorns pushed the Cougars around inside, pulling down 19 offensive rebounds and blocking nine shots.
Fortunate as it may have been Monday evening, BYU will take the win and move on to play No. 12 Wichita State on Tuesday night for the CBE Hall of Fame Classic championship.
Here are the grades for each BYU position group and other aspects of the game.
Nate Gagon is a published sports, music, and creative writer. He is also a wholehearted father, grateful husband and ardent student of life. He shoots roughly 94% from the free-throw line and can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org or @nategagon.
- Teen in Springville family found dead left...
- High school football: Defense, big plays pave...
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high...
- Championship Friday, live streams, stats and...
- High school football: Dixie defense comes up...
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar Galactica'...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The championship edition
- Timpview runs away from Roy, 28-7, to claim...
- Dick Harmon: Outwardly lobbying Big 12... 141
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 112
- Runnin' Utes lose defensive battle at... 68
- Utes still have outside chance at... 35
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 32
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 25
- Brady Poppinga: From an early age I... 24
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21