Notre Dame Stadium and 12 other college football stadiums that should be on your bucket list
Notre Dame Stadium »1 of 13 «
More on Notre Dame Stadium
Construction completed in 1930
From Touchdown Jesus to the wall-hung "Play like a champion today" sign in the hallway outside the Notre Dame locker room, the house that Knute Rockne built is steeped in tradition. The Notre Dame Victory March is arguably the most recognizable fight song in the country, and the school's band is the oldest university band in existence. This hallowed stadium has been home to seven Heisman Trophy winners, and the Fighting Irish have played 436 games (324-107-5) in the stadium heading into Saturday's contest against BYU. Only once since 1966 has there not been a sellout crowd. No team that has played at the stadium at least four times owns a winning record against the home team.
Notre Dame Stadium has stayed largely true to its original construction — it still has wooden benches — and in 1997 the stadium was renovated to upgrade the facility, adding more than 21,000 seats to make the current capacity reach near 81,000. With the golden hues, the traditional striped end zones and the colors of fall in the surrounding foliage, this is one site that college football fans dream about experiencing.
»1 of 13 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- 'Say Thanks': Facebook launches new feature...
- New friends plan to work together to defend...
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach...
- Jimmer Fredette trying to keep his head up as...
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental shooting...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get washed away...
- Home makeover honors refugee family's service...
- Reader voices: I'm trying to be a Mormon
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 143
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 116
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 38
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 37
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 36
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 31
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach... 23
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21