23 C.S. Lewis quotes shared in LDS general conference
The month of November, and particularly Nov. 22, marks the 50th anniversary of C. S. Lewis’ death.
Lewis’ work as a scholar, novelist and Christian apologist is renowned by many, and he is one of the most quoted authors on Twitter.
Beyond social media, Lewis is also frequently quoted by members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
According to “C. S. Lewis: Latter-Day Truths in Narnia,” by Marianna Edwards Richardson and Christine Thackeray, Lewis has been quoted in LDS Church magazines more than 100 times, and almost one-third of the citations are from speakers in general conference.
The book says the first time the famed British author was quoted in conference was in 1977 by Elder Paul H. Dunn, a member of the Seventy, who repeated Lewis’ words, “Take care. It is so easy to break eggs without making omelets.”
Richardson and Thackeray explain that of the general authorities, Elder Neal A. Maxwell quoted Lewis the most with 19 different citations, four of which were in his conference talks. President James E. Faust followed Elder Maxwell with seven references to Lewis in his talks and writing. Over the years, Lewis has often been quoted during general conference.
In their book, Richardson and Thackeray wrote, “Perhaps the reason Lewis is quoted so often is because he discusses mankind’s frailties through the ‘small sins’ of everyday life. His voice is not one of a university professor, but has an ‘every man’ quality, as though he is struggling beside us, which enables people of all kinds to relate to his message.”
The following list includes just 23 C.S. Lewis quotes that have been shared by speakers in LDS general conference.
Read more: Click here to see a compilation of the top 100 C.S. Lewis quotes.
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to replace...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San Francisco...
- Wright Words: Disney's 'Frozen' and why we...
- San Francisco coach apologizes for postgame...
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- WCC Championship game tale of the tape, BYU...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces rare,...
- 'Burger King baby' now seeks birth mom on...
- Gay marriage debate is changing how... 102
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'... 68
- Local religious leaders urge support... 25
- Wright Words: Disney's 'Frozen' and why... 24
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces rare,... 22
- 'Cosmos' return puts science and... 22
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to... 21
- 'Noah' banned in three countries weeks... 18