23 C.S. Lewis quotes shared in LDS general conference
The month of November, and particularly Nov. 22, marks the 50th anniversary of C. S. Lewis’ death.
Lewis’ work as a scholar, novelist and Christian apologist is renowned by many, and he is one of the most quoted authors on Twitter.
Beyond social media, Lewis is also frequently quoted by members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
According to “C. S. Lewis: Latter-Day Truths in Narnia,” by Marianna Edwards Richardson and Christine Thackeray, Lewis has been quoted in LDS Church magazines more than 100 times, and almost one-third of the citations are from speakers in general conference.
The book says the first time the famed British author was quoted in conference was in 1977 by Elder Paul H. Dunn, a member of the Seventy, who repeated Lewis’ words, “Take care. It is so easy to break eggs without making omelets.”
Richardson and Thackeray explain that of the general authorities, Elder Neal A. Maxwell quoted Lewis the most with 19 different citations, four of which were in his conference talks. President James E. Faust followed Elder Maxwell with seven references to Lewis in his talks and writing. Over the years, Lewis has often been quoted during general conference.
In their book, Richardson and Thackeray wrote, “Perhaps the reason Lewis is quoted so often is because he discusses mankind’s frailties through the ‘small sins’ of everyday life. His voice is not one of a university professor, but has an ‘every man’ quality, as though he is struggling beside us, which enables people of all kinds to relate to his message.”
The following list includes just 23 C.S. Lewis quotes that have been shared by speakers in LDS general conference.
Read more: Click here to see a compilation of the top 100 C.S. Lewis quotes.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- An LDS missionary and a Marine: Twin brothers...
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- LDS Church releases video, topic page...
- 'Meet the Mormons' box office continues to...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- The 9 most overlooked threats to a marriage
- Defending the Faith: When the... 132
- Can public officials refuse to perform... 68
- 'Meet the Mormons' box office continues... 44
- Houston subpoenas sermons in battle... 32
- LDS CIO helps LDSTech attendees better... 26
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 16
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 12
- Vatican alters draft report translation... 11