23 C.S. Lewis quotes shared in LDS general conference
The month of November, and particularly Nov. 22, marks the 50th anniversary of C. S. Lewis’ death.
Lewis’ work as a scholar, novelist and Christian apologist is renowned by many, and he is one of the most quoted authors on Twitter.
Beyond social media, Lewis is also frequently quoted by members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
According to “C. S. Lewis: Latter-Day Truths in Narnia,” by Marianna Edwards Richardson and Christine Thackeray, Lewis has been quoted in LDS Church magazines more than 100 times, and almost one-third of the citations are from speakers in general conference.
The book says the first time the famed British author was quoted in conference was in 1977 by Elder Paul H. Dunn, a member of the Seventy, who repeated Lewis’ words, “Take care. It is so easy to break eggs without making omelets.”
Richardson and Thackeray explain that of the general authorities, Elder Neal A. Maxwell quoted Lewis the most with 19 different citations, four of which were in his conference talks. President James E. Faust followed Elder Maxwell with seven references to Lewis in his talks and writing. Over the years, Lewis has often been quoted during general conference.
In their book, Richardson and Thackeray wrote, “Perhaps the reason Lewis is quoted so often is because he discusses mankind’s frailties through the ‘small sins’ of everyday life. His voice is not one of a university professor, but has an ‘every man’ quality, as though he is struggling beside us, which enables people of all kinds to relate to his message.”
The following list includes just 23 C.S. Lewis quotes that have been shared by speakers in LDS general conference.
Read more: Click here to see a compilation of the top 100 C.S. Lewis quotes.
- Mormons popping up all over TV these days
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- Can BYU put together a special season?
- Doug Robinson: Erin Andrews switches teams...
- Utah company films aerial video of renovated...
- Ranking the best season by a running back in...
- Peavler: Bronco Mendenhall and BYU embrace...
- Utes fill three future football schedules...
- IRS agrees to investigate churches that... 34
- Defending the Faith: But what of those... 34
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a... 30
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 21
- 10 reasons religious education belongs... 21
- 10 reasons a traditional marriage is... 19
- First two stakes mark milestone as LDS... 17
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house... 9