High school football: Felt's Facts Week 13, semifinals and championships
BACK FOR MORE
In 5A, 4A and 3AA, eight of the 12 semifinalists repeat trips to Rice-Eccles from last year, including three of four in 5A – Bingham, Jordan and Lone Peak – and 3AA – Desert Hills, Dixie and Juan Diego.
The semifinals are rife with schools that have captured multiple state football crowns. Six of the participants – Bingham, Dixie, East, Jordan, Juan Diego and Timpview – have claimed a combined 56 championships. That’s over 20% of all titles by about 6% of all schools. The list is led by East’s 16 and Jordan’s 12.
However, the other six semifinalists have a combined four state titles. Desert Hills (sixth season), Pine View (31st) and Woods Cross (37th) have yet to take home a championship trophy.
Jordan and Lone Peak return to Rice-Eccles for the fourth straight year while Desert Hills, East and Timpview appear in their third consecutive semifinals. Bingham, Dixie and Juan Diego advance for the second year in a row.
In addition, Timpview is back for the tenth time in 12 seasons, Bingham qualifies for the semis for the seventh time in eight seasons and Juan Diego for the fifth time in six attempts.
Every team competing this week in all six classifications has played in at least one championship game.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share...
- Women hired by LDS Church History Department...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- Larry King interviews Lindsey Stirling about...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 38
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 30
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 24