High school football: Felt's Facts Week 13, semifinals and championships
BACK FOR MORE
In 5A, 4A and 3AA, eight of the 12 semifinalists repeat trips to Rice-Eccles from last year, including three of four in 5A – Bingham, Jordan and Lone Peak – and 3AA – Desert Hills, Dixie and Juan Diego.
The semifinals are rife with schools that have captured multiple state football crowns. Six of the participants – Bingham, Dixie, East, Jordan, Juan Diego and Timpview – have claimed a combined 56 championships. That’s over 20% of all titles by about 6% of all schools. The list is led by East’s 16 and Jordan’s 12.
However, the other six semifinalists have a combined four state titles. Desert Hills (sixth season), Pine View (31st) and Woods Cross (37th) have yet to take home a championship trophy.
Jordan and Lone Peak return to Rice-Eccles for the fourth straight year while Desert Hills, East and Timpview appear in their third consecutive semifinals. Bingham, Dixie and Juan Diego advance for the second year in a row.
In addition, Timpview is back for the tenth time in 12 seasons, Bingham qualifies for the semis for the seventh time in eight seasons and Juan Diego for the fifth time in six attempts.
Every team competing this week in all six classifications has played in at least one championship game.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- A kiss, a prayer: The last hours of MH17's...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- Dear daughter, I hope you never conform to...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- Community rallies for Kamas family after...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 93
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 76
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 46
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 41
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 27
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26