USU basketball report card: Aggies easily handle in-state rival Southern Utah
LOGAN — It’s not every year that Utah State's basketball team hosts an in-state opponent in the Spectrum. The SUU Thunderbirds made the trip up north to take on the Aggies, hoping to become the first in-state team to beat the Aggies in Logan since BYU in 2000.
The Aggies started the game off hot with a 3-pointer from senior point guard TeNale Roland, and from that point on the SUU T-Birds were playing catch up for the rest of the game. The Aggies were able to maintain their lead with a dominant performance by senior center Jarred Shaw, who had his first double-double of the season with 24 points and 10 rebounds. USU thumped the T-Birds, 90-57.
Aggie sophomore forward Kyle Davis also contributed on the defensive end, where he had three blocks to cause problems for his former team. Davis, who played for Southern Utah his freshman year, transferred to Utah State after serving an LDS mission in Detroit.
SUU, only returning two seniors from its previous season, looked outmanned and outmuscled throughout the game. SUU senior center Jayson Cheesman got into foul trouble early and sat out most of the game, only playing 14 minutes. A bright spot for the T-Birds was the effort freshman guard Trey Kennedy made, leading his team with 11 points and 2 for 4 from beyond the arc.
USU, starting its season 2-0, heads to California Saturday, where it will take on UCSB, which might be the toughest opponent the Aggies have played thus far in the season. The Gauchos are coming off an 86-65 thumping when they took on Mountain West Conference powerhouse UNLV in Las Vegas.
The Thunderbirds came into the game after a season-opening victory over Arizona Christian. The Thunderbirds will take on California-Berkeley next Monday in California.
Here’s how each position group fared in Tuesday night's in-state battle.
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces rare,...
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to...
- Malaysian plane mystery: Stolen passports, 5...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- Charles Krauthammer: The president's foreign...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 84
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 73
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 57
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 29
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24