Utah football: Arizona State undefeated in series since 1977
Arizona State 47, Utah 19 Oct. 29, 1977 Salt Lake City »1 of 9 «
ASU jumped out to a 21-0 lead early in the second quarter. The Utes drew as close as 27-19 with 11:02 left in the third quarter before ASU showed a dominance seen in the first stanza. The Sun Devils had 630 total yards on the day. Arizona State quarterback Dennis Sproul threw for 290 yards and two touchdowns. Utah signal-caller Randy Gomez, however, went just 18-of-36 with an interception. The Utes lost linebacker Rich Umphrey, offensive tackle Steve Rudesill and running back Steve Peake all for the season.
Utah finished 3-8 under head coach Wayne Howard. ASU finished 9-3 and ranked 18th in the final AP poll after a Fiesta Bowl loss.
»1 of 9 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- High school football: Bingham accepts invite...
- 'Say Thanks': Facebook launches new feature...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get washed away...
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0
- High school football: Timpview overcomes...
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar Galactica'...
- Dick Harmon: Utah tries to break out of...
- Capturing 'Mormon Faces': LDS mother,...
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 115
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 73
- Runnin' Utes lose defensive battle at... 68
- Utes still have outside chance at... 36
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 35
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 30
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 21