Utah football: Arizona State undefeated in series since 1977
Arizona State 47, Utah 19 Oct. 29, 1977 Salt Lake City »1 of 9 «
ASU jumped out to a 21-0 lead early in the second quarter. The Utes drew as close as 27-19 with 11:02 left in the third quarter before ASU showed a dominance seen in the first stanza. The Sun Devils had 630 total yards on the day. Arizona State quarterback Dennis Sproul threw for 290 yards and two touchdowns. Utah signal-caller Randy Gomez, however, went just 18-of-36 with an interception. The Utes lost linebacker Rich Umphrey, offensive tackle Steve Rudesill and running back Steve Peake all for the season.
Utah finished 3-8 under head coach Wayne Howard. ASU finished 9-3 and ranked 18th in the final AP poll after a Fiesta Bowl loss.
»1 of 9 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Cyclists killed in early morning crash shared...
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Mormon family featured on Boston's WCVB...
- BYU basketball: Kyle Collinsworth has torn...
- Utah basketball: Utes outlast Washington...
- House report: John Swallow hung 'for sale'...
- BYU football: D-line returned missionaries...
- What makes us lie and cheat and what we can...
- Utah basketball: Utes outlast... 88
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San... 86
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 74
- BYU basketball: Gonzaga builds early... 72
- San Francisco coach apologizes for... 56
- BYU basketball: Kyle Collinsworth has... 41
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 32