Utah football: Arizona State undefeated in series since 1977
Arizona State 47, Utah 19 Oct. 29, 1977 Salt Lake City »1 of 9 «
ASU jumped out to a 21-0 lead early in the second quarter. The Utes drew as close as 27-19 with 11:02 left in the third quarter before ASU showed a dominance seen in the first stanza. The Sun Devils had 630 total yards on the day. Arizona State quarterback Dennis Sproul threw for 290 yards and two touchdowns. Utah signal-caller Randy Gomez, however, went just 18-of-36 with an interception. The Utes lost linebacker Rich Umphrey, offensive tackle Steve Rudesill and running back Steve Peake all for the season.
Utah finished 3-8 under head coach Wayne Howard. ASU finished 9-3 and ranked 18th in the final AP poll after a Fiesta Bowl loss.
»1 of 9 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- In our opinion: Planned Parenthood should...
- Two Utah schools under federal investigation...
- LDS missionaries save apartment complex from...
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term solution?...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one of the...
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time at BYU
- LDS Church moves volunteers from Turkey to...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws ire
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 54
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 46
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 44
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 34
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 23
- Backfield to the future: Hill, Williams... 12