Utah football: Arizona State undefeated in series since 1977
Arizona State 47, Utah 19 Oct. 29, 1977 Salt Lake City »1 of 9 «
ASU jumped out to a 21-0 lead early in the second quarter. The Utes drew as close as 27-19 with 11:02 left in the third quarter before ASU showed a dominance seen in the first stanza. The Sun Devils had 630 total yards on the day. Arizona State quarterback Dennis Sproul threw for 290 yards and two touchdowns. Utah signal-caller Randy Gomez, however, went just 18-of-36 with an interception. The Utes lost linebacker Rich Umphrey, offensive tackle Steve Rudesill and running back Steve Peake all for the season.
Utah finished 3-8 under head coach Wayne Howard. ASU finished 9-3 and ranked 18th in the final AP poll after a Fiesta Bowl loss.
»1 of 9 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- New mission presidents
- Elizabeth Smart picks BYU rape response for...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Dave Rose anxious to get...
- Skateboarder dies after being shot in...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney challenging...
- New temple presidents
- Tips & Tricks: 6 reasons you may be getting...
- Doug Robinson: $280M UCLA deal breaks record,...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 152
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 68
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 51
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 49
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 41
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 31
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27