Utah football: Arizona State undefeated in series since 1977
Arizona State 47, Utah 19 Oct. 29, 1977 Salt Lake City »1 of 9 «
ASU jumped out to a 21-0 lead early in the second quarter. The Utes drew as close as 27-19 with 11:02 left in the third quarter before ASU showed a dominance seen in the first stanza. The Sun Devils had 630 total yards on the day. Arizona State quarterback Dennis Sproul threw for 290 yards and two touchdowns. Utah signal-caller Randy Gomez, however, went just 18-of-36 with an interception. The Utes lost linebacker Rich Umphrey, offensive tackle Steve Rudesill and running back Steve Peake all for the season.
Utah finished 3-8 under head coach Wayne Howard. ASU finished 9-3 and ranked 18th in the final AP poll after a Fiesta Bowl loss.
»1 of 9 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- New Mormon Message video highlights how much...
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big part...
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- Jim McMahon: 37 years later, former BYU star...
- Defending the Faith: Columbus among the Nephites
- The Clean Cut: Toddler can't help but run to...
- Liberals teach kids tolerance over faith;...
- No more excuses: Mormon dad designs home...
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 136
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 97
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 53
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 48