Utah football: Arizona State undefeated in series since 1977
Utah beating Arizona State isn’t improbable just because of the Sun Devils’ aptitude. History is against the Utes, too, as they have often played ASU when their program is down and the other’s is up.
Utah has lost nine straight games to the Sun Devils dating back to 1976 and is just 6-18 overall. Seven losses came in the 17 years since the original “Star Wars” was released, along with two more in the seasons since the Utes joined the Pac-12. Six of the losses have been by 21 points or more. Six of those nine matchups were in Tempe, but at Rice-Eccles Stadium, Utah still lost 47-19 (1977) and 35-14 (2011).
The Utes and Sun Devils met every season but one (1965) between 1961-76, when Utah got six contests in the Wasatch Front. Both teams were part of the Western Athletic Conference from 1962-77 until ASU split for the Pac-10. During that time, Utah never lost more than three games in a row and even won two straight in 1964 and 1966.
The Utes’ last win in the series was a 31-28 decision in 1976 in Tempe.
In 1973, the Utes stunned a nationally ranked Sun Devils squad in a snowy game that featured 10 ASU turnovers. The upset of No. 8 ASU marked the Utes’ most recent regular-season defeat of a Top 10 opponent at home until they beat No. 5 Stanford, 27-21, last month.
Rhett Wilkinson is a project manager for Utah Policy Daily and an alumni of USU. The co-founder of magazine AggieBluePrint.com, he has interned for the Deseret News and other publications. email@example.com | Twitter: @wilklogan
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- 5 parenting lessons from movies
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 58
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 54
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Dick Harmon: It's Taysom Hill time on... 28