BYU football's biggest road wins in school history
Sept. 8, 1979: BYU 18, No. 14 Texas A&M 17 »1 of 10 «
BYU had never won a game against a non-conference ranked opponent before it made the trip to Rice Stadium in Houston to take on No. 14 Texas A&M. The Cougars' prospects looked grim as star quarterback Marc Wilson underwent and appendectomy the week before the game.
But Wilson and BYU would not be denied this chance at making history.
The Cougar defense came up big with a blocked punt and a goal-line stand, and Wilson threw a touchdown pass with just 52 seconds remaining. BYU head coach LaVell Edwards could have sent this game into overtime with an extra point, but instead decided to roll the dice and try for two. BYU converted and held on to win, 18-17.
»1 of 10 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Dispatchers answer man's repeated 911 calls...
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- Two LDS temples will be closing for extensive...
- LDS young man makes lasting impression on the...
- Obama signature all that's left in BYU's...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Want a smart kid? Stay away from these two...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- Utes rally but fall short against Kansas 61
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 42
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 30
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25