BYU football's biggest road wins in school history
Sept. 8, 1979: BYU 18, No. 14 Texas A&M 17 »1 of 10 «
BYU had never won a game against a non-conference ranked opponent before it made the trip to Rice Stadium in Houston to take on No. 14 Texas A&M. The Cougars' prospects looked grim as star quarterback Marc Wilson underwent and appendectomy the week before the game.
But Wilson and BYU would not be denied this chance at making history.
The Cougar defense came up big with a blocked punt and a goal-line stand, and Wilson threw a touchdown pass with just 52 seconds remaining. BYU head coach LaVell Edwards could have sent this game into overtime with an extra point, but instead decided to roll the dice and try for two. BYU converted and held on to win, 18-17.
»1 of 10 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to replace...
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Dick Harmon: BYU exits Las Vegas in a...
- San Francisco coach apologizes for postgame...
- Wright Words: Disney's 'Frozen' and why we...
- BYU basketball: Gonzaga builds early lead,...
- Second victim found of Murray trucker accused...
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San... 86
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 74
- BYU basketball: Gonzaga builds early... 66
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- San Francisco coach apologizes for... 53
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 32
- Utah basketball: Regular-season finale... 24