Unforgettable records in local college football history that will make your eyes pop
Ty Detmer sets the bar for excellence »1 of 25 «
For 13 years, former BYU quarterback Ty Detmer sat alone atop the NCAA career passing yards list, with 15,031 yards, until Hawaii's Timmy Chang broke the record in 2004.
While his national mark has been bested, it could be a long time before anyone at a school known for its strong quarterback play approaches Detmer's career passing mark, let alone his 121 career touchdown passes.
During his Cougar career, Detmer threw for 400 or more yards 14 times, including a high of 599 against San Diego State in 1991. In the 1990 season, he topped that mark eight times and averaged 432.3 yards per game, amassing 5,188 passing yards and 41 touchdowns his junior year.
That makes it easy to see how he brought home the state's lone Heisman Trophy.
»1 of 25 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Utah man credits God for survival of 4...
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's open to...
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat about this...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: I know what it's...
- West Antelope fire grows to 8,000 acres
- Morning links: National college football...
- Ohio Mormon offered invocation at Republican...
- Doug Robinson: Why this mother of four is my...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 125
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 72
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 52
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 52
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Annual instate college basketball... 37