Unforgettable records in local college football history that will make your eyes pop
Ty Detmer sets the bar for excellence »1 of 25 «
For 13 years, former BYU quarterback Ty Detmer sat alone atop the NCAA career passing yards list, with 15,031 yards, until Hawaii's Timmy Chang broke the record in 2004.
While his national mark has been bested, it could be a long time before anyone at a school known for its strong quarterback play approaches Detmer's career passing mark, let alone his 121 career touchdown passes.
During his Cougar career, Detmer threw for 400 or more yards 14 times, including a high of 599 against San Diego State in 1991. In the 1990 season, he topped that mark eight times and averaged 432.3 yards per game, amassing 5,188 passing yards and 41 touchdowns his junior year.
That makes it easy to see how he brought home the state's lone Heisman Trophy.
»1 of 25 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No. 23 in...
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while lunging...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6 seasons, but...
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia team...
- A conversation with Mormon convert and 7-time...
- Things that changed my view of marriage forever
- Jon Heder becomes Napoleon Dynamite again for...
- AAC commish: BYU is a 'power' team 126
- Roller-coaster ride: BYU outlasts... 103
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback... 47
- Peavler: BYU knows it can't afford to... 42
- Dick Harmon: Leap of faith takes on... 39
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 36
- BYU football report card: Mostly B's... 35
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 35