10 moments that made BYU and NFL quarterback Jim McMahon famous — and infamous
#1 - MIRACLE BOWL »10 of 10 «
McMahon, an overtly non-religious man, heaved up a prayer and came away with BYU's first-ever bowl win
The moment has gone down in BYU legend, and with good reason.
Cougar fans today look back at BYU's storied bowl history with pride and admiration, but in 1980, all BYU had to look back at was several consecutive losses in the Holiday Bowl against Midwestern teams.
Enter the Pony Express in 1980. At the height of SMU's NCAA rule breaking, the Mustangs of SMU earned a berth to the Holiday Bowl to face BYU. Through more than 56 of the 60 minutes of game time, they held a 20-point lead on BYU.
McMahon led the Cougars back to the win, the final touchdown coming as time expired.
What more could Cougar Nation have asked from this Hall of Famer than BYU's first-ever bowl win?
»10 of 10 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- Switched at birth, man raised in poverty...
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much money...
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass, Cougars'...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 192
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 102
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 50
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 48
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Dick Harmon: USC taps BYU experience... 44