10 moments that made BYU and NFL quarterback Jim McMahon famous — and infamous
#1 - MIRACLE BOWL »10 of 10 «
McMahon, an overtly non-religious man, heaved up a prayer and came away with BYU's first-ever bowl win
The moment has gone down in BYU legend, and with good reason.
Cougar fans today look back at BYU's storied bowl history with pride and admiration, but in 1980, all BYU had to look back at was several consecutive losses in the Holiday Bowl against Midwestern teams.
Enter the Pony Express in 1980. At the height of SMU's NCAA rule breaking, the Mustangs of SMU earned a berth to the Holiday Bowl to face BYU. Through more than 56 of the 60 minutes of game time, they held a 20-point lead on BYU.
McMahon led the Cougars back to the win, the final touchdown coming as time expired.
What more could Cougar Nation have asked from this Hall of Famer than BYU's first-ever bowl win?
»10 of 10 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Ex-Utahn accused of killing 6 in Texas was...
- Drone flies over LDS Washington D.C.Temple,...
- Is independence a viable option for BYU, or...
- Videographer explains drone flight over D.C....
- Big turnout of fans buoys Jazz
- 5 rules for a happy marriage
- Wright Words: Former priest, pastor share...
- Parents of eight children both have cancer,...
- Vai's View: Harvey Langi hopes to... 280
- BYU-Utah rated nation's 12th-best... 121
- Is independence a viable option for... 107
- Gordon Hayward agrees to terms with... 65
- 4 Utah college football players named... 33
- BYU football: Box Elder's Riley Burt... 31
- Utah Jazz almost on the clock to match... 26
- Big turnout of fans buoys Jazz 15