From 1 to 33: Ranking the basketball teams in the Pac-12, MWC and West Coast conferences
No. 1: Arizona Wildcats »1 of 33 «
2012-13 record: 27-8, 12-6 Pac-12
Postseason: Reached NCAA Tournament Sweet 16
The Wildcats enter the 2013-14 season with high expectations, even after losing their top two scorers — Mark Lyons and Solomon Hill — who were both seniors last year. A good portion of this optimism stems from a slew of incoming and young talent.
Arizona will benefit from transfer T.J. McConnell taking over at point guard after averaging 11.4 points, 5.5 assists and 4.4 rebounds in 2011-12 at Duquesne, where he played two seasons before sitting out last year. McConnell will team up in the backcourt with returning leading scorer Nick Johnson (11.5 points per game), who earned honorable mention honors on the Pac-12 defensive team last season.
Other incoming talent includes two freshmen wings — Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and Aaron Gordon — in addition to Kansas transfer Zach Peters. The 6-foot-10 forward Peters was recently granted his waiver request by the NCAA and is eligible to play this year.
National link: Athlon Sports Pac-12 college basketball snapshot
»1 of 33 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Job insecurity is the new normal. Here's how...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- Alex Boye to make second appearance on NBC's...
- Kathleen Parker: Planned Parenthood relying...
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The Book...
- Recreation, crowds and challenges: What's...
- Herbert pleads with Obama to stop any new...
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 55
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 45
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 33
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 27
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 24
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 22
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham... 16