From 1 to 33: Ranking the basketball teams in the Pac-12, MWC and West Coast conferences
No. 1: Arizona Wildcats »1 of 33 «
2012-13 record: 27-8, 12-6 Pac-12
Postseason: Reached NCAA Tournament Sweet 16
The Wildcats enter the 2013-14 season with high expectations, even after losing their top two scorers — Mark Lyons and Solomon Hill — who were both seniors last year. A good portion of this optimism stems from a slew of incoming and young talent.
Arizona will benefit from transfer T.J. McConnell taking over at point guard after averaging 11.4 points, 5.5 assists and 4.4 rebounds in 2011-12 at Duquesne, where he played two seasons before sitting out last year. McConnell will team up in the backcourt with returning leading scorer Nick Johnson (11.5 points per game), who earned honorable mention honors on the Pac-12 defensive team last season.
Other incoming talent includes two freshmen wings — Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and Aaron Gordon — in addition to Kansas transfer Zach Peters. The 6-foot-10 forward Peters was recently granted his waiver request by the NCAA and is eligible to play this year.
National link: Athlon Sports Pac-12 college basketball snapshot
»1 of 33 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- LDS Church enhances web pages on its history,...
- Utah mom inspires braid for Prim in 'Hunger...
- BYU football: Cougars to play Washington in...
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists overnight...
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm headed to...
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did not win'...
- Robots vs. minimum wage: As pressure grows on...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 97
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 63
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 52
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 46
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 33
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 27