From 1 to 33: Ranking the basketball teams in the Pac-12, MWC and West Coast conferences
No. 1: Arizona Wildcats »1 of 33 «
2012-13 record: 27-8, 12-6 Pac-12
Postseason: Reached NCAA Tournament Sweet 16
The Wildcats enter the 2013-14 season with high expectations, even after losing their top two scorers — Mark Lyons and Solomon Hill — who were both seniors last year. A good portion of this optimism stems from a slew of incoming and young talent.
Arizona will benefit from transfer T.J. McConnell taking over at point guard after averaging 11.4 points, 5.5 assists and 4.4 rebounds in 2011-12 at Duquesne, where he played two seasons before sitting out last year. McConnell will team up in the backcourt with returning leading scorer Nick Johnson (11.5 points per game), who earned honorable mention honors on the Pac-12 defensive team last season.
Other incoming talent includes two freshmen wings — Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and Aaron Gordon — in addition to Kansas transfer Zach Peters. The 6-foot-10 forward Peters was recently granted his waiver request by the NCAA and is eligible to play this year.
National link: Athlon Sports Pac-12 college basketball snapshot
»1 of 33 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- New mission presidents
- LDS First Presidency announces area...
- Free agent roundup: 15 locals from BYU, Utah,...
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake residents...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking in Orem
- Linehan's leg helps propel BYU past Cal for...
- ValueSpeak: How did my toddler grandson...
- LDS sister missionaries assaulted in Chile
- Brad Rock: Utah-BYU rivalry will... 165
- BYU announces 2015 football schedule,... 80
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring... 53
- Dick Harmon: BYU's 2015 September... 43
- BYU hires Lone Peak's Quincy Lewis as... 38
- Linehan's leg helps propel BYU past Cal... 34
- BYU's 2015 bowl destination could be... 32
- Free agent roundup: 15 locals from BYU,... 31