From 1 to 33: Ranking the basketball teams in the Pac-12, MWC and West Coast conferences
No. 1: Arizona Wildcats »1 of 33 «
2012-13 record: 27-8, 12-6 Pac-12
Postseason: Reached NCAA Tournament Sweet 16
The Wildcats enter the 2013-14 season with high expectations, even after losing their top two scorers — Mark Lyons and Solomon Hill — who were both seniors last year. A good portion of this optimism stems from a slew of incoming and young talent.
Arizona will benefit from transfer T.J. McConnell taking over at point guard after averaging 11.4 points, 5.5 assists and 4.4 rebounds in 2011-12 at Duquesne, where he played two seasons before sitting out last year. McConnell will team up in the backcourt with returning leading scorer Nick Johnson (11.5 points per game), who earned honorable mention honors on the Pac-12 defensive team last season.
Other incoming talent includes two freshmen wings — Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and Aaron Gordon — in addition to Kansas transfer Zach Peters. The 6-foot-10 forward Peters was recently granted his waiver request by the NCAA and is eligible to play this year.
National link: Athlon Sports Pac-12 college basketball snapshot
»1 of 33 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day
- Utah man building Disneyland out of Legos...
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him to...
- Dick Harmon: Nike designing a shoe...
- Who will be BYU's starting quarterback? Hill?...
- Freeway cattle drive concludes without a...
- Ruby Girl: New website aims to give LDS young...
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,...
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 78
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 62
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 30
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 21
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20