From 1 to 33: Ranking the basketball teams in the Pac-12, MWC and West Coast conferences
No. 1: Arizona Wildcats »1 of 33 «
2012-13 record: 27-8, 12-6 Pac-12
Postseason: Reached NCAA Tournament Sweet 16
The Wildcats enter the 2013-14 season with high expectations, even after losing their top two scorers — Mark Lyons and Solomon Hill — who were both seniors last year. A good portion of this optimism stems from a slew of incoming and young talent.
Arizona will benefit from transfer T.J. McConnell taking over at point guard after averaging 11.4 points, 5.5 assists and 4.4 rebounds in 2011-12 at Duquesne, where he played two seasons before sitting out last year. McConnell will team up in the backcourt with returning leading scorer Nick Johnson (11.5 points per game), who earned honorable mention honors on the Pac-12 defensive team last season.
Other incoming talent includes two freshmen wings — Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and Aaron Gordon — in addition to Kansas transfer Zach Peters. The 6-foot-10 forward Peters was recently granted his waiver request by the NCAA and is eligible to play this year.
National link: Athlon Sports Pac-12 college basketball snapshot
»1 of 33 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in...
- LDS Church clarifies position on...
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between BYU...
- Pope in blistering critique of Vatican...
- Pleasant Grove pizza manager arrested for...
- Candlelight vigil held for critically injured...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 105
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 36
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars... 26
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 25
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off... 21