Utah football: Utes have been one of nation's best big-play teams in 2013
Last season, the University of Utah football team ranked 73rd out of 120 Football Bowl Subdivision teams in scoring offense (26.7 points per game).
This season, the Utes are 25th (39 ppg) among 123 FBS clubs. That’s just one spot behind Stanford, their opponent Saturday.
Utah's offense has been much more explosive, too. If you count receiver Dres Anderson’s 49-yard touchdown reception against Oregon State, the Utes are tied for second in the nation in plays of 50 yards or more.
Seven have involved quarterback Travis Wilson; six have been passing plays; and four have come via Anderson receptions.
Utah could use some more of those plays Saturday against Stanford — and it might just happen. The Cardinal are just the fourth Top 5 team to play in Rice-Eccles Stadium but rank just 49th in the FBS in total defense.
Here's a look at Utah's big plays this season.
Rhett Wilkinson is a project manager for UtahPolicy.com and hails the true-blooded Aggies from Utah. The co-founder of magazine Aggie BluePrint.com, he's been an intern for the Deseret News and other publications. email@example.com | @wilklogan
- Seeking and sorrowing: Sisters of the Prophet...
- Are church youth dances outdated?
- The Clean Cut: After dad's death, brother...
- Mystery man who rescued driver from cliff in...
- She paid for a family's groceries and got...
- Returned Mormon missionary wins Ms. Virginia...
- Number of LDS converts, missionaries...
- Cheerleading coach who worked as youth...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 74
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Ute quarterback Chase Hansen finding... 28
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 27
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 23
- Mountain West Conference announces... 19
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17