Utah football: Utes have been one of nation's best big-play teams in 2013
Last season, the University of Utah football team ranked 73rd out of 120 Football Bowl Subdivision teams in scoring offense (26.7 points per game).
This season, the Utes are 25th (39 ppg) among 123 FBS clubs. That’s just one spot behind Stanford, their opponent Saturday.
Utah's offense has been much more explosive, too. If you count receiver Dres Anderson’s 49-yard touchdown reception against Oregon State, the Utes are tied for second in the nation in plays of 50 yards or more.
Seven have involved quarterback Travis Wilson; six have been passing plays; and four have come via Anderson receptions.
Utah could use some more of those plays Saturday against Stanford — and it might just happen. The Cardinal are just the fourth Top 5 team to play in Rice-Eccles Stadium but rank just 49th in the FBS in total defense.
Here's a look at Utah's big plays this season.
Rhett Wilkinson is a project manager for UtahPolicy.com and hails the true-blooded Aggies from Utah. The co-founder of magazine Aggie BluePrint.com, he's been an intern for the Deseret News and other publications. firstname.lastname@example.org | @wilklogan
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without parole?
- Morning links: BYU signee shot in arm;...
- Utah Jazz: Brazilian point guard Raul Neto...
- Jazz fan favorite Jeremy Evans' era in Utah...
- Tabernacle Choir opens New York Yankees game...
- So far, Dante Exum appears to be bigger and...
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert Anae...
- Hatfield suspended from U. football program...
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 107
- Morning links: BYU signee shot in arm;... 36
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder... 35
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert... 29
- BYU Cougars finish year with five... 28
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield... 27
- Utah Utes enjoy banner year as seven... 19
- Hatfield suspended from U. football... 18