Utah football: Utes have been one of nation's best big-play teams in 2013
Last season, the University of Utah football team ranked 73rd out of 120 Football Bowl Subdivision teams in scoring offense (26.7 points per game).
This season, the Utes are 25th (39 ppg) among 123 FBS clubs. That’s just one spot behind Stanford, their opponent Saturday.
Utah's offense has been much more explosive, too. If you count receiver Dres Anderson’s 49-yard touchdown reception against Oregon State, the Utes are tied for second in the nation in plays of 50 yards or more.
Seven have involved quarterback Travis Wilson; six have been passing plays; and four have come via Anderson receptions.
Utah could use some more of those plays Saturday against Stanford — and it might just happen. The Cardinal are just the fourth Top 5 team to play in Rice-Eccles Stadium but rank just 49th in the FBS in total defense.
Here's a look at Utah's big plays this season.
Rhett Wilkinson is a project manager for UtahPolicy.com and hails the true-blooded Aggies from Utah. The co-founder of magazine Aggie BluePrint.com, he's been an intern for the Deseret News and other publications. email@example.com | @wilklogan
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of daughter's...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Jim McMahon: 37 years later, former BYU star...
- BYU's Hill has come a long way since loss at...
- Things that changed my view of marriage forever
- Peavler: 3 is a magic number for BYU after...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 119
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 72
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 67
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU... 52
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 48
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 45