BYU, USU football: Breaking down the Cougar offense vs. Aggie defense
Brandon Gurney, who covers BYU, and Kraig Williams, who covers Utah State, break down the matchups when BYU has the football this Friday. This is the second part of a two-part preview.
Overview of BYU rushing
The Cougars average 307.2 yards per game on the ground, including ouputs of 550 yards against Texas and 309 yards against Middle Tennessee State. Both Virginia and Utah held BYU to just under 200 yards on the ground.
The Cougars employ a lot of read option with quarterback Taysom Hill at the helm. Hill leads the team in rushing and averages 141.2 yards per game and 8.6 yards per rush. Sophomore Jamaal Williams sat out last game with a concussion, but is expected to play against the Aggies. Williams averages 126 yards per game and 5 yards per rush.
BYU rotates its backs frequently and will often run out of an inverted wishbone formation, which features three backs. Paul Lasike and Michael Alisa have both contributed heavily and offensive coordinator Robert Anae indicated that freshman Algie Brown could see more reps after his standout performance against Middle Tennessee. Adam Hine suffered a concussion last week and is questionable for Friday.
Email: email@example.comTwitter: @BrandonCGurney, @KraigW
- New mission presidents
- All 4 of Joseph Smith's firsthand accounts of...
- One thing that changed my view of marriage...
- In our opinion: Marriage definition on...
- Father raises awareness of congenital defect...
- National experts weigh in on the BYU Cougars'...
- Gordon Hayward looks to get better at...
- Rock On: Next Utah college coach to leave is ...
- Little offense as main players sit out... 105
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big... 101
- Ultimate football road trips:... 48
- Morning links: Duke in pursuit of Lone... 45
- BYU offense looking to move the ball,... 34
- Analysis: Utah Jazz will be better, but... 17
- Dave Rose hires May as BYU's director... 13
- Pittsburgh to hire Utah State Athletic... 11