BYU, USU football: Breaking down the Cougar offense vs. Aggie defense
Brandon Gurney, who covers BYU, and Kraig Williams, who covers Utah State, break down the matchups when BYU has the football this Friday. This is the second part of a two-part preview.
Overview of BYU rushing
The Cougars average 307.2 yards per game on the ground, including ouputs of 550 yards against Texas and 309 yards against Middle Tennessee State. Both Virginia and Utah held BYU to just under 200 yards on the ground.
The Cougars employ a lot of read option with quarterback Taysom Hill at the helm. Hill leads the team in rushing and averages 141.2 yards per game and 8.6 yards per rush. Sophomore Jamaal Williams sat out last game with a concussion, but is expected to play against the Aggies. Williams averages 126 yards per game and 5 yards per rush.
BYU rotates its backs frequently and will often run out of an inverted wishbone formation, which features three backs. Paul Lasike and Michael Alisa have both contributed heavily and offensive coordinator Robert Anae indicated that freshman Algie Brown could see more reps after his standout performance against Middle Tennessee. Adam Hine suffered a concussion last week and is questionable for Friday.
Email: email@example.comTwitter: @BrandonCGurney, @KraigW
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Mormon youths celebrate reopening of the...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Can you pass the U.S. citizenship test?
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Leo Tolstoy's view of Mormons as teaching...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 73
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 61
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33