BYU, USU football: Breaking down the Cougar offense vs. Aggie defense
Brandon Gurney, who covers BYU, and Kraig Williams, who covers Utah State, break down the matchups when BYU has the football this Friday. This is the second part of a two-part preview.
Overview of BYU rushing
The Cougars average 307.2 yards per game on the ground, including ouputs of 550 yards against Texas and 309 yards against Middle Tennessee State. Both Virginia and Utah held BYU to just under 200 yards on the ground.
The Cougars employ a lot of read option with quarterback Taysom Hill at the helm. Hill leads the team in rushing and averages 141.2 yards per game and 8.6 yards per rush. Sophomore Jamaal Williams sat out last game with a concussion, but is expected to play against the Aggies. Williams averages 126 yards per game and 5 yards per rush.
BYU rotates its backs frequently and will often run out of an inverted wishbone formation, which features three backs. Paul Lasike and Michael Alisa have both contributed heavily and offensive coordinator Robert Anae indicated that freshman Algie Brown could see more reps after his standout performance against Middle Tennessee. Adam Hine suffered a concussion last week and is questionable for Friday.
Email: email@example.comTwitter: @BrandonCGurney, @KraigW
- Are church youth dances outdated?
- Seeking and sorrowing: Sisters of the Prophet...
- Returned Mormon missionary wins Ms. Virginia...
- The Clean Cut: After dad's death, brother...
- There is no such thing as a bulletproof marriage
- Mystery man who rescued driver from cliff in...
- No playoffs again, but rebuilding Utah Jazz...
- 3 Utes, 1 Aggie and 1 Cougar selected in CBS...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 73
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Ute quarterback Chase Hansen finding... 28
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 25
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 23
- Mountain West Conference announces... 19
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17