BYU, USU football: Breaking down the Aggie offense vs. the Cougar defense
Brandon Gurney, who covers BYU, and Kraig Williams, who covers Utah State, break down the matchups when Utah State has the football this Friday. This is the first part of a two-part preview.
Overview of Utah State rushing
Utah State has gotten the rep of a run-heavy school after sending Robert Turbin, Michael Smith and Kerwynn Williams to the NFL the last two years. This year the Aggies have been good but not great on the ground, averaging just over 200 yards a game on the ground. Junior Joe Hill was pegged to be the guy in the preseason but has been battling through injuries early in the season and has yet to hit full stride. He is currently day-to-day and a question mark against BYU.
Joey DeMartino has stepped into the void and preformed pretty well. In his last three games, DeMartino has racked up 34 carries for 297 yards (8.7 yards per carry). DeMartino might not have the same game-breaking speed that Hill posseses, but has been able to break off his fair share of big plays.
After Hill and DeMartino, the Aggies' third leading rusher is quarterback Chuckie Keeton. The junior signal caller is always a threat on the read option and is equally capable of turning a broken passing play into a long run if the defense doesn’t keep containment.
Email: email@example.comTwitter: @BrandonCGurney, @KraigW
- Pac-12 commissioner 'delighted' that his...
- Parade spectators celebrate pioneers past and...
- Utes notebook: Kyle Whittingham says Harvey...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Getting back up off the ground: Utahn...
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have voted for
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 114
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 88
- Pac-12 commissioner 'delighted' that... 78
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 69
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 52
- Utes notebook: Kyle Whittingham says... 49
- ACC media days has some interesting... 48
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 32