Utah-BYU: Rivalry games in which Utes never trailed Cougars
“It’s emotionally draining, but we’ve won nine of the last 12, so maybe we want to play them more.”
— Kyle Whittingham
Of course Whittingham’s Utes won’t get to play BYU in 2014 or 2015. But his assessment may be even more astute. After all, Whittingham’s team has not even trailed in six of the past 11 rivalry games against the Cougars. That includes this year’s contest, which featured a strong start as part of a 20-13 win.
Those other contests don’t include Utah’s 54-10 shellacking in 2011, when the Utes capitalized on seven BYU turnovers for their most lopsided win over the Cougars since 1931.
In those half-dozen contests, the Cougars have made some comebacks before coming up short. But from a snow bowl shutout to two blowout victories, overall the Utes have dominated BYU over the past decade-plus in a fashion more dramatic than Whittingham’s count.
See the overview of the five previous games prior to 2013 that Utah controlled.
Rhett Wilkinson is a project manager for UtahPolicy.com and hails the true-blooded Aggies from Utah. The co-founder of magazine Aggie BluePrint.com, he's been an intern for the Deseret News and other publications. email@example.com | @wilklogan
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- Robert Bennett: Obama has his own 'killer...
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- 5 parenting lessons from movies
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28