Must-know facts and stats going into the BYU-Utah football game
Excitement, anticipation, banter and trash talk are buzzing in the Beehive State. The BYU-Utah rivalry continues Saturday, Sept. 21, at 8:15 p.m. MDT in Provo.
Regardless of past outcomes, no matter what the streaks and stats and records are, each new contest is a fresh chapter in which anything can happen. Since the Utes and Cougars won’t meet again until 2016, bragging rights for the next three years are on the line.
But more than that is at stake. A win for Utah will give it renewed confidence as it resumes Pac-12 play, following a disappointing loss at home to Oregon State on Sept. 14. A win for BYU will likewise increase its confidence as it looks ahead to the remainder of the season. And of course, a win for either team puts it one step closer to qualifying for a bowl game.
Over the years, the faces of coaches and players change, but the rivalry between these two squads remains constantly intense. Here are 10 facts about the rivalry going into Saturday’s showdown.
Michael Chase is a graduate of Dixie State University and Deseret News contributor. He is the owner of Mike's Professional Editing LLC, which provides proofreading and audio transcription services. EMAIL: email@example.com
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in Utah...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- Utah husband wins 'Most Memorable Moment'...
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34