Tribute to the fallen: See historic photos of Gettysburg, Gettysburg Address
»3 of 70 «
In July 1863, an unidentified Union soldier shown March 12, 1985, died in battle at Gettysburg clutching a photograph of his three children. All four went unidentified until November 1863, when a woman in Portsville, N.Y., saw the photos in a religious publication and identified them as her husband Sgt. Amos Humiston and their three children. In 1866, indirectly inspired by the incident, the Soldiers’ Orphans home was erected in Gettysburg, with Mrs. Humiston and her three children being part of its first 100 residents.
»3 of 70 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being forced out...
- A beleaguered family — 12 in 4...
- AirAsia plane carrying 162 lost in stormy...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Bingham nearly topples undefeated Florida...
- Utah came first for Rep. Jim Matheson, but...
- Man shot, killed in confrontation with Tooele...
- LDS Church to create new missions in Utah and...
Most Commented Across Site
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 132
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 75
- Mitt Romney Sundance film gives... 66
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 63
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 52
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being... 45
- Rally in support of police also draws... 44