Commentary: The best and worst of BYU football fans
PROVO — Ah, BYU fans. One moment they are down and depressed, calling for the coach’s job, 550 yards later they are celebrating like it is 1984.
Yes, days after BYU’s utterly disappointing performance in the Cougar’s season opener against Virginia, fans were understandably bitter. Offensive coordinator Robert Anae’s debut of the highly anticipated “Go Fast, Go Hard” mantra was — in reality — rather slow in scoring points and overall hard to view.
Then the Longhorns arrived and, like the storm that shook the stadium and provided another game day of delays, quarterback Taysom Hill and the Cougars sent the Longhorns back to Texas without their top 25 ranking and their defensive coordinator.
Fans can be viewed as the “invisible hand” that prompts coaching changes and gives backup quarterbacks hope for playing time. As such, taking a look back at the good and the bad of BYU’s passionate fan base is worthwhile.
What are the best and worst moments in BYU fan history? Let's take a closer look.
Dave Gillespie earned his bachelor degree in history from the University of Texas-Pan American in 2011. While working in the past as a sports editor in Texas, he currently works as the world geography instructor at IDEA College Prep in Pharr, Texas.
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- President Uchtdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48