There she is: From 1921 to 2014, see the Miss America pageant through the years
1921 »2 of 100 «
Contestants in the first Miss America pageant line up for the judges in Atlantic City, N.J., in Sept. 1921. Second from left is Margaret Gorman, who won the competition. Miss America started as a bathing suit contest on the uncomplicated theory it might help fill Atlantic City hotel rooms for an extra week past Labor Day at the end of the summer season.
»2 of 100 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Dispatchers answer man's repeated 911 calls...
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Little Lamb: A babe in white linen on white...
- Canada man finds an Elizabeth Gallagher for...
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- LDS young man makes lasting impression on the...
- Obama: US re-establishing diplomatic... 39
- End gun violence, say faith leaders on... 30
- Police: 3 dead, including gunman, in... 18
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer... 15
- Taliban assault on Pakistan school... 11
- Utah football's Hackett, Orchard named... 11
- Senate averts shutdown fears; Democrats... 9
- So wait? Pets don't go to heaven? 8