BYU football: No. 15 Texas bracing for stingy BYU defense
PROVO — This wasn't exactly the type of start the Texas Longhorns' new fast-paced offense envisioned: Fumbling the football on the first drive and then stalling out the rest of the opening quarter.
Just a minor glitch, though, as the No. 15 Longhorns soon got things revved up in routing New Mexico State 56-7 last weekend as they rolled up a school-record 715 yards of offense. Texas quarterback David Ash led the way by throwing for 343 yards and four touchdowns, along with running for another score.
"Started off slow. Turned the ball over. Didn't look good," Ash said. "Then, we got together and we played like we're capable of. There (were) a lot of points, a lot of yards, we left out on the field."
This weekend, Texas faces a stingy BYU defense that was one of the country's best last season. Led by linebacker Kyle Van Noy, the Cougars held Virginia's offense largely in check during a season-opening loss.
"They pride themselves on being a tough team," said Texas coach Mack Brown, who can tie Woody Hayes for 10th place on the NCAA all-time wins list with a victory Saturday. "I'm challenging our team because I think Brigham Young is as tough as anybody in the country."
One thing's for certain: The Longhorns have BYU's attention.
"We feel like if we just cut down on some of the mistakes and keep executing and do what we need to do, they're going to get tired," running back Jamaal Williams said. "They're going to bow down to our will and we're just going to go out there and do our thing."
Here are five things to watch when the Longhorns meet BYU:
AP Sports Writer Jim Vertuno in Austin, Texas, and AP freelancer John Coon in Provo, Utah, contributed.
- Is the Angel Moroni a lightning rod? Statue...
- LDS missionary who returned home early shares...
- 13-year-old Sandy girl waiting for heart...
- Lindsey Stirling performs with Celine Dion at...
- Police: Body of man missing since March found
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue atop...
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy shine...
- Rock On: Bronco is being Bronco in Virginia;...
- Morning links: Tanner Mangum an... 51
- Utah basketball adds Czech big man... 41
- Softball: Utah advances to regional... 32
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 22
- Utah softball beats Kentucky, 5-3, to... 16
- Kyle Collinsworth to work out for... 8
- Video: 100 days until college football... 8
- Utah Jazz continue process of finding... 7