Top 10 most stolen cars in Utah
With the release of the National Insurance Crime Bureau’s “Hot Wheels” list — which shows the most frequently stolen cars by state as well as the country as a whole — national trends in auto theft can be put into greater focus.For example, the first 16 slots on the overall most stolen cars list belong to cars made between the years 1990 and 2000.
But why would a car thief choose an older model instead of the newest make?“Today’s cars have sophisticated ignition systems with key codes that identify the key or fob unique to that vehicle,” a video released by the NICB says. “Hotwiring is virtually impossible, and joyriding is limited to thieves who see a car with a key still in the ignition.”
But as the video also points out, professional car thieves who rely on more complex tactics than just hotwiring can still get newer cars if they try hard enough.But what about in the state of Utah? Does the same logic apply?
Yes. In fact seven of the 10 most stolen models in the Beehive State were all made in the ’90s. Only two of the cars on the list are less than 20 years old, the third outlier was actually made in the 1970s.
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Rock On: Utah has LeBron Syndrome
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- Most American high schoolers don't know... 8
- Consumers are padding their checking... 2
- Optimism on the rise for job seekers 2
- Teen drivers hike Utah car insurance 89... 2
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of... 2
- Before you head off on your vacation,... 2
- How do Americans use their time? 1