Top 10 most stolen cars in the U.S.
With the release of the National Insurance Crime Bureau’s “Hot Wheels” list — which shows the most frequently stolen cars by state as well as the country as a whole — national trends in auto theft can be put into greater focus.For example, the first 16 slots on the overall most stolen cars list belong to cars made between the years 1990 and 2000.
But why would a car thief choose an older model instead of the newest make?“Today’s cars have sophisticated ignition systems with key codes that identify the key or fob unique to that vehicle,” a video released by the NICB says. “Hotwiring is virtually impossible, and joyriding is limited to thieves who see a car with a key still in the ignition.”
But as the video also points out, professional car thieves who rely on more complex tactics than just hotwiring can still get newer cars if they try hard enough.But what about in the state of Utah? Does the same logic apply?
Yes. In fact seven of the 10 most stolen models in the Beehive State were all made in the ’90s. Only two of the cars on the list are less than 20 years old, the third outlier was actually made in the 1970s.
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Mormon youths celebrate reopening of the...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Can you pass the U.S. citizenship test?
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Leo Tolstoy's view of Mormons as teaching...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 46
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 32
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- How much America wants to be taxed 9
- Financial interventions don't work 7
- Why starting a garden doesn't save you... 6
- Child poverty just dropped for the... 4
- Customers wait all night, get new iPhone 6 4