Commentary: Ranking the best NFL quarterbacks from Utah colleges
1. Steve Young »15 of 15 «
Young started his pro career in the USFL before being selected by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers with the first pick of the 1984 supplemental draft.
His career in Tampa was somewhat of a disaster. Young only won three of his 19 starts and threw 10 more picks than touchdowns. Young found new life as a member of the San Francisco 49ers but only after four seasons as the backup to Joe Montana.
As the starter of San Francisco for most of eight seasons, Young was one of the best quarterbacks the NFL has ever had. He led the league in completion percentage, touchdowns and passer rating an astounding 15 times during that stretch while leading San Francisco to its last Super Bowl win.
Young was a two-time NFL MVP and a first team All-Pro three straight seasons. Young made seven Pro Bowls and was named the first-team quarterback of the 1990s by pro football reference.
For his NFL career, Young passed for 33,124 yards and 232 touchdowns while completing 64.3 percent of his passes. Young also rushed for 4,239 yards and 43 scores. Young was enshrined in the Pro Football Hall Of Fame in 2005.
Not bad for a guy who appeared to be a bust after his time in Tampa Bay.
»15 of 15 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- The Clean Cut: After dad's death, brother...
- Number of LDS converts, missionaries...
- She paid for a family's groceries and got...
- New mission presidents
- New temple presidents
- Seeking and sorrowing: Sisters of the Prophet...
- Cheerleading coach who worked as youth...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 24
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16