Commentary: Ranking the best NFL quarterbacks from Utah colleges
1. Steve Young »15 of 15 «
Young started his pro career in the USFL before being selected by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers with the first pick of the 1984 supplemental draft.
His career in Tampa was somewhat of a disaster. Young only won three of his 19 starts and threw 10 more picks than touchdowns. Young found new life as a member of the San Francisco 49ers but only after four seasons as the backup to Joe Montana.
As the starter of San Francisco for most of eight seasons, Young was one of the best quarterbacks the NFL has ever had. He led the league in completion percentage, touchdowns and passer rating an astounding 15 times during that stretch while leading San Francisco to its last Super Bowl win.
Young was a two-time NFL MVP and a first team All-Pro three straight seasons. Young made seven Pro Bowls and was named the first-team quarterback of the 1990s by pro football reference.
For his NFL career, Young passed for 33,124 yards and 232 touchdowns while completing 64.3 percent of his passes. Young also rushed for 4,239 yards and 43 scores. Young was enshrined in the Pro Football Hall Of Fame in 2005.
Not bad for a guy who appeared to be a bust after his time in Tampa Bay.
»15 of 15 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- Parents say daughter didn't understand her...
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks about...
- The good, the bad and the most likely:...
- Newborn found in trash can brings call for help
- College football predictions: How will 2014...
- Utah mother who left 11-month-old in hot car...
- Ask Angela: I'm not getting married in the...
- College football predictions: How will... 112
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 62
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 41
- True freshman Brad Kaaya beats out... 36
- Brad Rock: Five reasons Utes think... 35
- Peavler: Why the UConn game won't be a... 35
- BYU Cougars video: Jeff Call tells us... 33