Commentary: Ranking the best NFL quarterbacks from Utah colleges
1. Steve Young »15 of 15 «
Young started his pro career in the USFL before being selected by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers with the first pick of the 1984 supplemental draft.
His career in Tampa was somewhat of a disaster. Young only won three of his 19 starts and threw 10 more picks than touchdowns. Young found new life as a member of the San Francisco 49ers but only after four seasons as the backup to Joe Montana.
As the starter of San Francisco for most of eight seasons, Young was one of the best quarterbacks the NFL has ever had. He led the league in completion percentage, touchdowns and passer rating an astounding 15 times during that stretch while leading San Francisco to its last Super Bowl win.
Young was a two-time NFL MVP and a first team All-Pro three straight seasons. Young made seven Pro Bowls and was named the first-team quarterback of the 1990s by pro football reference.
For his NFL career, Young passed for 33,124 yards and 232 touchdowns while completing 64.3 percent of his passes. Young also rushed for 4,239 yards and 43 scores. Young was enshrined in the Pro Football Hall Of Fame in 2005.
Not bad for a guy who appeared to be a bust after his time in Tampa Bay.
»15 of 15 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- LDS Church's official website to evolve over...
- About Utah: Utah Valley University fills a...
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed robbery...
- Attorneys want BYU track team testimony...
- New mission presidents
- LDS dad among finalists for Doritos Super...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 62
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 37
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Utes get it done at home again 21
- Masina, Gustin develop friendship that... 20
- Matt Carlino playing much the same at... 19