Breaking down the in-state rivalries in 2013: Utah State at Utah
Editor's note: This is part one of a three-part series regarding the FBS matchups of the 2013 Beehive State college football season.
Utah had won 12 straight against USU in the series. It hadn't looked and felt like a rivalry for years. This fact was compounded with the Utes headed to the Pac-12 and the Aggies only having one more year in a depleted WAC. Nobody in Salt Lake thought a Utah-Utah State game would be a contest.
Then Gary Andersen pulled magic out of his visor.
Last year's game in Logan was sloppy, intense and laced with drama. Utah quarterback Jordan Wynn got knocked out of the game for good. Utah State never trailed. John Hayes almost rallied the Utes to victory but came up glaringly short. The little brother sprung the upset and stunned the Utes in the first overtime game in the 100-plus-year-old series.
It was quite memorable overall. The Aggies used the victory to springboard themselves to an 11-2 finish while the Utes just missed bowl eligibility.
The kickoff of the first Utah college football game of the season is only days away, so let's break down what we will see in the games between the in-state schools this season.
Sam McConkie is a technical and professional writing graduate from Utah State University. EMAIL: email@example.com
- Mormons popping up all over TV these days
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- Doug Robinson: Erin Andrews switches teams...
- Can BYU put together a special season?
- Utah company films aerial video of renovated...
- Ranking the best season by a running back in...
- Proposal: Real Salt Lake would pay for minor...
- First two stakes mark milestone as LDS Church...
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford... 110
- BYU football: Cougars announce future... 87
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 73
- Utes fill three future football... 65
- Peavler: Bronco Mendenhall and BYU... 58
- Can BYU put together a special season? 56
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 54
- College football: BYU receives votes in... 35