USU football: Aggie QB Chuckie Keeton will be chucking the pigskin to these receivers this year
Was the receiving corps the weakest unit to last year’s Utah State football team?
It’s a tough question when the team clicked on all cylinders most of the time en route to the best season in school history. But one must wonder how much of the Aggies’ single-season school records for total points, total offense, completions and total yards came because of the arm of Chuckie Keeton rather than the hands of a group whose running back (Kerwynn Williams) was the second-leading receiver. Graduated athlete Matt Austin led with just 48 receptions in his sixth season. Chuck Jacobs may crack an NFL roster for Week 1 but averaged just more than three catches per game.
Austin was apparently an emotional leader, but he and Jacobs’ on-field production? Replaceable.
Those with the task is a mish-mash of seniors Travis Reynolds and Travis Van Leeuwen and sophomores Bruce “Jojo” Natson (fans should be excited about him) and Brandon Swindall.
The toughest player to replace may actually be tight end Kellen Bartlett, who earned honorable mention all-WAC honors last season. Senior D.J. Tialavea and junior Keegan Andersen will be responsible.
Receivers coach Javon Bouknight, a former star at the University of Wyoming, returns despite former coach Gary Andersen’s departure to the University of Wisconsin. Bouknight is entering his fourth season at the position.
Read about those seeking to be on the other end of Keeton’s throws this season:
Rhett Wilkinson is a project manager for UtahPolicy.com and hails the true-blooded Aggies from Utah. The co-founder of magazine Aggie BluePrint.com, he's been an intern for the Deseret News and other publications. firstname.lastname@example.org | @wilklogan
- Morning links: BYU signee shot in arm;...
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without parole?
- Utah Jazz: Brazilian point guard Raul Neto...
- Jazz fan favorite Jeremy Evans' era in Utah...
- Tabernacle Choir opens New York Yankees game...
- So far, Dante Exum appears to be bigger and...
- Hatfield suspended from U. football program...
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert Anae...
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 107
- Morning links: BYU signee shot in arm;... 36
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder... 35
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert... 29
- BYU Cougars finish year with five... 28
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield... 27
- Utah Utes enjoy banner year as seven... 19
- Hatfield suspended from U. football... 18