Commentary: In the Pac-12, the Utes are now a part of the arms race
Player Development »1 of 4 «
USC now has a fortress in the McKay Center that beyond the exterior may be more like the Batcave. In playing on an underground field, athletes can feel like the Dark Knight. Its weight room for all 21 sports also is one of the largest in the country, and each football locker includes a video screen.
Again benefitting from the financial dedication of Nike co-founder and alum Phil Knight, Oregon’s imperial-looking edifice is a force with nine separate classrooms. The locker room is two stories, and the lockers themselves cost nearly $26,000 apiece.
And it still includes the Moshofsky Sports Center, which was the first indoor practice facility and training center when the conference still was the Pac-10.
Arizona’s glistening Lowell-Stevens construct features a cardio mezzanine that looks over the Santa Catalina Mountains and a weight room that the Arizona Daily Star’s Greg Hansen estimates is 10 times larger than the one in the McKale Center, the Wildcats’ old facility. Its FieldTurf surface is the type 14 NFL teams use, and its computer and medical center reportedly is top-notch.
Utah’s winding complex, the newest of the bunch by mere months, has a feature that bests the other three: the university, routinely recognized as offering one of the best medical schools in the nation, now offers a 17,000-square-foot sports medicine clinic that boasts hydrotherapy pools. Its 6,500-square-foot locker room also takes up a significant portion of the 120,000 square foot facility. The complex adjoins the 19,000-square-foot Alex Smith Strength and Conditioning Facility and is adjacent to the indoor practice field and a soon-to-be-built outdoor field with artificial turf — giving Utah’s program a complete complex as it embarks on year three in the Pac-12.
»1 of 4 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- New mission presidents
- LDS First Presidency announces area...
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake residents...
- Free agent roundup: 15 locals from BYU, Utah,...
- Linehan's leg helps propel BYU past Cal for...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking in Orem
- ValueSpeak: How did my toddler grandson...
- LDS sister missionaries assaulted in Chile
- Brad Rock: Utah-BYU rivalry will... 165
- BYU announces 2015 football schedule,... 79
- Yeomans: What does Jimmer Fredette need... 54
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring... 53
- Dick Harmon: BYU's 2015 September... 43
- BYU hires Lone Peak's Quincy Lewis as... 38
- Linehan's leg helps propel BYU past Cal... 32
- BYU's 2015 bowl destination could be... 31