Jubilation and devastation: 75 emotional photos from the end of World War II
The August 1945 surrender of the Japanese in World War II came days after the United States dropped atomic bombs on the cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and brought six years of bloodshed to a close.
The conclusion of the war — formally announced on August 14, 70 years ago — sparked celebrations across the world, while nations, cities and families began dealing with the task of rebuilding in the war's wake. The surrender was made official weeks later at a ceremony on September 2, 1945.
Here's a look at the jubilation and devastation that accompanied Japan's surrender and the end of what remains the deadliest conflict in human history.
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws ire
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'...
- LDS missionaries save apartment complex from...
- In our opinion: Planned Parenthood should...
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says it...
- Elder Per G. Malm dies at age 67
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time at BYU
- Venezuela presents details in weapons case...
- Sarah Silverman: Bernie-or-bust Dems... 49
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist? 42
- Clinton wins historic nomination,... 37
- Trump says Russia should find Clinton's... 32
- After turmoil, Sanders, Michelle Obama,... 31
- Dems' division, emails roil party on... 28
- Watch live at the Democratic National... 25
- In wake of email hack, Democratic chair... 23