11 can't-miss tips for successful LDS missionaries
Nearly a year has passed since President Thomas S. Monson of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced the historic change to the church’s missionary program. It’s become known colloquially as the “age change” — meaning that worthy young men are eligible to serve at the age of 18 instead of 19 and after graduating from high school. Young women are now invited to serve at 19 instead of 21.
This change has produced a remarkable surge in missionaries entering the field. The LDS Church estimates there will be about 80,000 missionaries serving by October. Before the announcement, there were about 54,000 missionaries.
This wave of willingness to tune out the world and serve the Lord as his full-time representative is inspiring. Witnessing these young men and women flood the field reminds me of my own mission to Brazil many years ago. My time there remains among my most treasured experiences and chief accomplishments. If I could return today, I would.
While serving as a young man — and later teaching for a short time at the Mission Training Center in Provo, and even now having Mormon missionaries into my home as often as possible and working with them at every opportunity — I’ve learned a few things about the differences between happy, successful missionaries and the unpleasant alternatives.
I call them my 11 can’t-miss tips for successful missionaries.
- 'The Book of Mormon' musical is an...
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay...
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in women's retail
- Morning links: BYU letting fans tailgate;...
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The Book...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk (ahem,...
- Wanted Layton man dies in New Mexico plane crash
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 303
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 141
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 109
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 98
- 'The Book of Mormon' musical is an... 97
- Religious groups react to Boy... 79
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 77
- Morning links: Utah is on the rise in... 74