The difference-makers: 30 key BYU, Utah and USU athletes to watch during 2013-14
Mitch Watrous »13 of 33 «
Height/weight: 6 feet/200 pounds
Position: Right-handed pitcher
This Riverton native was honorable mention All-Pac-12 as a sophomore as a vital cog in the Utes' starting rotation. He went 4-4 with a 2.81 ERA and piled up 64 strikeouts as a sophomore.
Watrous tied the school record for strikeouts in a single game in his very first start of the 2013 campaign (12) against the St. Mary's Gaels. He also held the third-ranked Oregon State Beavers to one run on four hits with five K's. Watrous started and won both of Utah's 2013 shutouts.
"Mitch has established himself as one of the premier pitchers in the league," Utah baseball head coach Bill Kinneberg said. "He matched up every weekend with the best guys in the Pac-12. He's a guy we are counting on to lead our staff and to again pitch on Friday nights."
»13 of 33 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Cyclists killed in early morning crash shared...
- Dick Harmon: BYU exits Las Vegas in a...
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to replace...
- Second victim found of Murray trucker accused...
- What makes us lie and cheat and what we can...
- BYU football: Cougar corner Trent Trammell...
- How will students pay for soaring debt? Tax...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San... 86
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 74
- BYU basketball: Gonzaga builds early... 72
- Utah basketball: Utes outlast... 67
- San Francisco coach apologizes for... 53
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 32
- Utah basketball: Delon Wright makes... 23