BYU football: Cougars looking to restore 'BYU brand of offense' and 4 other storylines at fall camp
PROVO — Over the course of four decades, BYU built its national reputation on the strength of its prolific, pass-happy offense.
But last season, the Cougars’ strength was definitely their defense, which ranked No. 3 in the nation. Meanwhile, the offense sputtered and struggled to produce touchdowns on a consistent basis.
BYU’s victory over San Diego State in the Poinsettia Bowl last December was emblematic of the 2012 campaign. Star linebacker Kyle Van Noy did what the offense could not by scoring a pair of touchdowns in the fourth quarter.
The school once known for its quarterbacks has been receiving considerable recognition for its linebackers. Somewhere, Ty Detmer is shaking his head in disbelief.
Well, coach Bronco Mendenhall, the mastermind of BYU’s defense, decided to overhaul the offense by replacing the entire offensive coaching staff, headlined by the return of Robert Anae as offensive coordinator.
As the Cougars open fall camp Saturday — with the season opener set for Aug. 31 at Virginia — all eyes will be on the offense.
Will Mendenhall’s changes pay dividends?
Anae is confident that he can return the Cougar offense to glory.
"We’re looking forward to living up to the BYU brand of offense," Anae said at media day in June. "BYU’s got a national brand, and I would like to live up to that."
The Cougars, who are looking to bounce back from a mediocre 8-5 season, face perhaps their toughest schedule in history, with games against opponents like Texas, Utah, Georgia Tech, Wisconsin and Notre Dame.
Here are five storylines to look for at BYU’s fall camp:
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Job insecurity is the new normal. Here's how...
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The Book...
- My Plan: A new tool to help LDS missionaries...
- 'The Book of Mormon' musical is an...
- One year later: Slow movement on slide repairs
- LDS Church leaders share personal photos and...
- Prison inmates start hunger strike, demand...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 111
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 21
- Morning links: Devontae Booker to be... 20