BYU football: Top 10 position battles entering fall camp
PROVO — Position battles routinely make headlines at college football fall camps around the country. At BYU, there are at least 10 such battles making headlines heading into the Cougars' fall practice sessions, which begin this Saturday.
The good news for the team is that the starting quarterback position was decided last spring. Taysom Hill has the reigns and looks to be a signal-caller BYU fans can completely get behind given his tremendous upside and intriguing skill set.
Most skill positions on offense also appear to be set entering fall camp, led by the return of last year’s leading receiver, Cody Hoffman. Running back is well-stocked with returning starters Jamaal Williams and Michael Alisa. Kaneakua Friel returns as the starter at tight end.
Most of the question marks on offense are along the offensive front, which struggled mightily last season.
On defense, outside linebacker and safety look as strong as ever, but questions remain along the defensive front and at one cornerback position.
Other storylines are sure to crop up as the practice sessions wear on, but until further notice here are the top 10 position battles entering fall practices.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: @BrandonCGurney
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to replace...
- Dick Harmon: BYU exits Las Vegas in a...
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- San Francisco coach apologizes for postgame...
- Wright Words: Disney's 'Frozen' and why we...
- BYU basketball: Gonzaga builds early lead,...
- Second victim found of Murray trucker accused...
- Two cyclists killed after hit by pickup in...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San... 86
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 74
- BYU basketball: Gonzaga builds early... 66
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- San Francisco coach apologizes for... 53
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 32
- Utah basketball: Regular-season finale... 24