Commentary: Ranking the best mustaches in BYU football history
Editor's note: The introduction to this list was written by Landon Hemsley, and the list itself was created by Ryan Forsgren of Boise.
The BYU Honor Code requires students to adhere to dress and grooming standards consistent with the values adopted by the university and its owning institution, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Among those values are honesty, chastity, virtue, obedience and cleanliness in body, mind and appearance.
Cleanliness in appearance is the subject of this piece.
Quoting directly from BYU's Honor Code, "Hairstyles should be clean and neat, avoiding extreme styles or colors, and trimmed above the collar, leaving the ear uncovered. Sideburns should not extend below the earlobe or onto the cheek. If worn, moustaches should be neatly trimmed and may not extend beyond or below the corners of the mouth. Men are expected to be clean-shaven; beards are not acceptable."
While students at BYU are clearly prohibited from growing a beard, there's nothing forbidding a classy mustache.
Ryan Forsgren of Boise went back through BYU football history and found the greatest mustaches of all time. Though not many current Cougars sport a ’stache, over the years, there have really been some good ones.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Leading Jordanian Muslim and Christian...
- Bishop Gérald Caussé announced...
- LDS YouTube family, the Shaytards, featured...
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to...
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 53
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 40
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 19