How does America compare when it comes to paid time off?
With Pioneer Day just around the corner, many are probably thinking through holiday plans for this Wednesday — unless, of course, you are required to work, in which case you may be tired of turning down invitations to barbecues. But what can you do? There’s no mandate that requires employers to give you Pioneer Day off.
There are some countries, however, that do prescribe paid time off for workers each year.
Of 21 developed countries, the United States is the only one that does not mandate a set amount of paid vacation time, according to a recent study by the Center for Economic and Policy Research.
Ranging from Austria and Portugal’s 35 days of paid vacation and holidays to Japan's 10 paid vacation days, all other countries dwarf the United States when it comes to paid time off.
It is common practice for U.S. businesses to offer some vacation time and holidays, even though it is not required by law. Interestingly, Americans — a quarter of whom don’t receive any vacation time — rarely use all of their vacation days, even if they have them. Aside from the harmful effect on your tan -or it's lack thereof-not taking vacations might have serious implications on your long term health
So if you find yourself sitting behind the cash register this Pioneer Day, just remember, Austria is beautiful this time of year.
- 'Duck Dynasty' daughter sticks to Christian...
- Utah family adopts 2 newborns 6 weeks apart
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that... 148
- Greg Bell: Lessons learned form the... 87
- In our opinion: New conservative war on... 53
- In our opinion: Where has the family... 50
- Letter: What is ‘common good?’ 31
- Robert Bennett: Former Defense... 28
- Letter: Uninformed candidate 26
- In our opinion: School reformers should... 25