PEDs, Pirates and Puig headline second half in MLB
Much of the focus as baseball heads into the second half is on the possible suspensions of Alex Rodriguez, Ryan Braun and a handful of All-Stars implicated in the Biogenesis performance enhancing drug scandal.
Puigmania, a Pirates revival and one impressive power show in Baltimore may shift the gaze back onto the field, where there will be a lot to watch headed down the stretch of the regular season.
Fans who have been celebrating Mariano Rivera at every stop of his farewell tour should get a chance to watch returning stars Derek Jeter, Chris Carpenter, A-Rod and even Manny Ramirez after a first half dominated by 20-somethings.
The American League won the All-Star game on Tuesday night, giving home-field advantage in the World Series back to the junior circuit after three years of NL dominance. Now the race is on to get to the Fall Classic, and some underachieving preseason favorites are looking to make their moves.
Every playoff spot is legitimately up for grabs, with no team leading a division by more than a half-dozen games. And the NL East, where Atlanta is up six on Washington, is the only place where the division leader is ahead by three games or more.
What to look for in the second half, that begins Friday.
AP Baseball Writer Janie McCauley contributed to this report.
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed; police...
- BYU Football: Harvey Jackson bolsters BYU's...
- The story behind the missionary reality TV...
- The Book of Mormon claims No. 1 spot on list...
- Jeff Benedict: Jabari Parker announces...
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch
- Brad Rock: Jazz: Sign Gordon Hayward to avoid...
- Salt Lake's record-setting convention kicks...
- Bingham kicker commits to Utah after... 84
- BYU football: Cougars land commitment... 59
- Jeff Benedict: Jabari Parker announces... 57
- CougarLinks: Former Cornhusker... 54
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay... 53
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 37
- Utah football: Utes are eager to pick... 33
- Utah Jazz: Jazz suffer weird loss... 24