The bottom 50 elementary schools in Utah according to the Utah Comprehensive Accountability System
This is a ranking of the bottom 50 public elementary schools in Utah — as listed in the Utah 2012-2013 educational directory — according to 2011-2012 Utah Comprehensive Accountability System data.
Under the Utah State Office of Education's UCAS system, ratings are given based on scores from end-of-year Criterion Referenced Tests, which assess student proficiency in math, science and language arts, as well as the direct writing assessment in applicable grades.
Each school is scored on a 600-point scale, with 300 points possible in growth and 300 points possible in achievement. The state average, for elementary schools, is 435/600.
In the area of potential for academic growth, 200 points are possible for all students, and 100 points are possible for below proficient student growth. In achievement, schools are awarded up to 300 points for students who are at or above proficient.
The first data under the new system was released in Nov. 2012, for the 2011-2012 school year. At the time, John Jesse, the assessment and accountability director for the Utah State Office of Education, told the Deseret News that parents should not take a below- or above-average score as a sign of total success or failure, but that they should look into what is contributing to the scores and what can be done to help them improve.
"Rather than make judgments, let's ask questions," Jesse said. "Is the school doing something to make that (score) happen?"
The list does not include schools that were given N/A rankings or used an alternative high school accountability report. It also does not include special schools and programs or charter schools.
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- LDS Church to break ground next month for...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer on trek...
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 76
- Supporters rally around breast-feeding... 73
- Gov. says Utah will comply with law if... 59
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 44
- Herbert on Common Core: 'We are going... 37
- Obama will sign order barring gay,... 25
- Gov. Rick Perry sending National Guard... 21
- Appeals courts issue contradictory... 21