Commentary: BYU's 15 greatest wide receivers of all time
BYU’s college football legacy lies with its quarterbacks. Numerous All-Americans, Davey O’Brien and Sammy Baugh winners, and a Heisman Trophy winner have walked the halls of BYU throughout its football history.
These are all great accomplishments for the school and its quarterbacks, but none of it would have happened without great wide receivers, tight ends and pass-catching running backs. In this three-part series, I have taken a look back to analyze these players at each of these positions in order to determine who the best of the best in Cougar history are.
Going through the all-time list of Cougar wide-outs made me realize how many great receivers BYU has had. Since this is only the top 15, numerous quality wide-outs did not make the cut. Among the players who just missed out are Bruce Smith, Casey Boyett, Lloyd Jones, Bryce Doman, Ben Cahoon, K.O. Kealaluhi and Michael Reed.
Here's my list of the 15 best wide receivers to ever play for BYU.
Note: These rankings are based solely on what each player did while at BYU. Junior college or NFL success has not influenced these rankings in any way. The stats presented herein also include bowl games.
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Mormon youths celebrate reopening of the...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Tragedy can reveal 'the very gold of truth'
- Can you pass the U.S. citizenship test?
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...