Commentary: By roster and talent, Utah Utes loaded at quarterback
SALT LAKE CITY — As Deseret News columnist Brad Rock wrote, “Deep down, everyone wants to be quarterback. It just so happens that on Utah's football team in 2013, almost everyone is.”
In August, five scholarship quarterbacks will be in the program, with another a walk-on. Kyle Whittingham and the Utah coaching staff are smart to stack the position. Ever since co-offensive coordinator Brian Johnson led the Utes as a senior to a Sugar Bowl win in 2009, the Utes — much like Warner Bros.’ Superman franchise — haven’t been able to maintain a consistent starter for several years.
Attempts at liftoff haven’t been smooth. Of course, there’s the Jordan Wynn shoulder saga. Last year, Winchester, Calif., signal-caller Derrick Brown committed to Utah before changing to Washington. Top-rated prospect Michael Eubank of Corona, Calif., showed interest in Utah but is now at Arizona State, Rock reported.
Still, Whittingham said the Utes might have two quarterbacks in the “upper echelon” of the Pac-12 in projected starter Travis Wilson and Adam Schulz — and freshman Brandon Cox is actually listed as a co-backup with Schulz, according to the university’s athletics website.
While Utah athletics media relations was unwilling to check with Whittingham to confirm the assumption that Cox is in that same category, the Utes feel like it can look to the sky in hope with their quarterback circumstances. Logan Bateman is the walk-on, while two 2013 high school graduates will be in Salt Lake City next month.
Here's an in-depth analysis of each of Utah's five options at quarterback for the 2013 football season.
Rhett Wilkinson is a project manager for UtahPolicy.com and hails the true-blooded Aggies from Utah. He's the co-founder of USU student magazine Aggie BluePrint and a former intern for the Deseret News. @wilklogan | firstname.lastname@example.org
- LDS First Presidency announces area...
- Mormon mom battling breast cancer during...
- Free agent roundup: Where locals signed after...
- Morning links: Nebraska coach praises BYU...
- New mission presidents
- Doug Robinson: The era (and myth) of the...
- Dick Harmon: LaVell Edwards chimes in on NFL...
- Women innovators leading by example
- Brad Rock: Utah-BYU rivalry will... 166
- BYU announces 2015 football schedule,... 89
- Morning links: Nebraska coach praises... 59
- Free agent roundup: Where locals signed... 49
- Dick Harmon: BYU's 2015 September... 45
- Linehan's leg helps propel BYU past Cal... 42
- BYU hires Lone Peak's Quincy Lewis as... 40
- Doug Robinson: The era (and myth) of... 34