Commentary: The 15 best pass-catching running backs in BYU history
BYU’s legacy, where college football is concerned, is with their quarterbacks. BYU's football history is littered with All-Americans, Davey O’Brien and Sammy Baugh winners as well as a Heisman Trophy winner.
While these accomplishments are great, none of those awards would have been earned without great wide receivers, tight ends and pass-catching running backs.
In a three part series, I look back and analyze the players at each of these positions to decide who the best of the best in Cougar history are, beginning with the running backs.
The running backs are ranked only by their abilities as receivers. My ranking has nothing to do with what they did as rushers or pass blockers. Their stats also include bowl games.
Coming up with a list of only 15 players was very difficult because there have been so many great receivers out of the backfield.
Those who just missed the cut still deserve mention. Scott Pettis, Waymon Hamilton, Eddie Stinnett, J.J. DiLuigi and Jeff Blanc were all effective dual-threat backs at BYU and helped the Cougars win many games.
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in women's retail
- 'The Book of Mormon' musical is an...
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay...
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The Book...
- Morning links: BYU letting fans tailgate;...
- 13 baby names that are making a comeback
- Dear daughter, when did I last wash your hair?
- Wanted Layton man dies in New Mexico plane crash
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 99
- Morning links: Utah is on the rise in... 74
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 41
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 33
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32