12 Fantastic frugal meal ideas
Editor's note: This list by Len Penzo originally appeared on his blog, Len Penzo dot com. It has been reprinted here with permission.
I was on an extremely tight budget when I was in college, so I had cheap cooking down to a science.
Back then, dinner was number four on my list of priorities; right after tuition, beer, and rent — in that order.
Many people on limited incomes pride themselves on their ability to create some truly delicious and cheap dinner ideas.
My grandmother, who was born in Italy, was always on a tight budget. One of my favorite dishes that Grandma used to serve was nothing more than white rice mixed with her leftover homemade spaghetti sauce. Some people call that dish “red rice,” but Grandma just called it, well, “rice with sauce.” Clever, huh?
I recently asked a few friends if they would be willing to share any cheap dishes that they use today or that their family served to them back when they were kids. Some were apparently more delicious than others.
Here's a summary of the results:
- LDS leaders announce new teaching manual,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners in NFL...
- Award recipient's affiliation draws ire of...
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs...
- 'Biggest Losers' show why we regain lost weight
- Motherhood Matters: What if I don’t...
- Dog accused of biting child ordered to be put...
- Confident Trump seeks knockout of Cruz... 9
- What millennials need to do to retire... 9
- Advocates: High court signals it won't... 5
- How to reap the financial benefits of... 5
- Congress heads out with no resolution... 4
- Apple reports iPhone sales down, 1st... 3
- Exxon sees smallest profit in 16 years,... 3
- Mystery solved? Australian says he's... 0