The bottom 50 high schools in Utah according to the Utah Comprehensive Accountability System
This is a ranking of the bottom 50 public high schools in Utah — as listed in the Utah 2012-2013 educational directory — according to Utah Comprehensive Accountability System data.
Under the Utah State Office of Education's UCAS system, ratings are given based on scores from end-of-year Criterion Referenced Tests, which assess student proficiency in math, science and language arts, as well as graduation rates at the high school level.
Each school is scored on a 600-point scale, with 300 points possible in growth and 300 points possible in achievement. The state average, for high schools, is 399/600.
In the area of potential for academic growth, 200 points are possible in all students, and 100 points are possible for below proficient student growth. In achievement, schools are awarded up to 150 points for the percentage of students who are at or above proficient and 150 points for readiness, or the graduation rate calculation.
The first data under the new system was released in Nov. 2012, for the 2011-2012 school year. At the time, John Jesse, the assessment and accountability director for the Utah State Office of Education, told the Deseret News that parents should not take a below- or above-average score as a sign of total success or failure, but that they should look into what is contributing to the scores and what can be done to help them improve.
"Rather than make judgments, let's ask questions," Jesse said. "Is the school doing something to make that (score) happen?"
The list does not include schools that were given N/A rankings or used an alternative high school accountability report. It also does not include special schools and programs or charter schools.
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- LDS young man makes lasting impression on the...
- Two LDS temples will be closing for extensive...
- Obama signature all that's left in BYU's...
- The Clean Cut: Alex Boye releases original...
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Preparation, hard work help BYU's Koroma earn...
- 'Did great-grandpa know Joseph Smith?' New...
- Gov. Gary Herbert: Now is the time to... 61
- Prison relocation sites down to four as... 49
- Obama signature all that's left in... 39
- Why Utah is the most charitable state... 38
- End gun violence, say faith leaders on... 28
- The water question: Tapping into one of... 24
- Popular Utah County water recreation... 21
- Majority of Utahns oppose moving state... 17