The top 50 high schools in Utah, according to the Utah Comprehensive Accountability System
This is a ranking of the top 50 public high schools in Utah — as listed in the Utah 2012-2013 educational directory — according to Utah Comprehensive Accountability System data.
Under the Utah State Office of Education's UCAS system, ratings are given based on scores from end-of-year Criterion Referenced Tests, which assess student proficiency in math, science and language arts, as well as graduation rates at the high school level.
Each school is scored on a 600-point scale, with 300 points possible in growth and 300 points possible in achievement. The state average, for high schools, is 399/600.
In the area of potential for academic growth, 200 points are possible in all students, and 100 points are possible for below proficient student growth. In achievement, schools are awarded up to 150 points for the percentage of students who are at or above proficient and 150 points for readiness, or the graduation rate calculation.
The first data under the new system was released in Nov. 2012, for the 2011-2012 school year. At the time, John Jesse, the assessment and accountability director for the Utah State Office of Education, told the Deseret News that parents should not take a below- or above-average score as a sign of total success or failure, but that they should look into what is contributing to the scores and what can be done to help them improve.
"Rather than make judgments, let's ask questions," Jesse said. "Is the school doing something to make that (score) happen?"
The list does not include schools that were given N/A rankings or used an alternative high school accountability report. It also does not include special schools and programs or charter schools.
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Duke's Jabari Parker faces tough stay-or-go...
- BYU basketball: Cougars leery of facing...
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'...
- High school boys basketball: Lone Peak...
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to...
- Actress Leah Remini criticized after...
- Judge: Biological father will share custody...
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 55
- National, local businesses file briefs... 53
- Family of BYU student hit by car say... 40
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 32
- Attempt to raise minimum wage in Utah... 31
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 19
- Prison relocation resolution passes House 18