Breaking down the Bruins, Blackhawks matchup in the Stanley Cup Final
The 2013 Stanley Cup Final gets underway Wednesday night. Even if you're not a fan of either one of the finalists, you can't get a better matchup to decide who will hoist Lord Stanley's Cup.
Two talented teams. Two historic franchises. Two great hockey cities. Two recent champions. This matchup has it all.
Chicago, which won the Presidents' Trophy as the team with the most points in the regular season, last won the cup in 2010 and is looking to complete a historic year after beginning this lockout-shortened season with an NHL-record 24-game start without a regulation loss. In the playoffs, the Blackhawks first dispatched the Wild in five. They were then on the ropes against Detroit, down 3-1, but came back to win in a thrilling seventh game. Finally, the Blackhawks dethroned the defending champion Kings in five games, courtesy of a Game 5 hat trick by 24-year-old superstar Patrick Kane.
The Bruins, who still have 17 players on their roster from their 2011 cup-winning team, have been unstoppable since their incredible comeback over Toronto in Game 7 of the first round. They rallied from a 4-1 third-period deficit (4-2 in the final two minutes) to beat the Leafs in overtime on a Patrice Bergeron goal. The B's subsequently got by the Rangers in five, then humiliated the favored Penguins in a dominating sweep.
The Blackhawks are fast, skilled and like to score. The Bruins are gritty, mean and wear down their opponents. Fully expect this series to go seven games, and it wouldn't be surprising if there is an overtime in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final for the first time since Detroit beat Montreal in 1954.
Here's a breakdown of each position group in this year's Stanley Cup Final as well as a prediction of who will win.
Michael Smith is an intern in the news section of DeseretNews.com. A 2013 graduate of the University of Utah, he will be attending Northwestern's Medill School of Journalism in the fall.
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford to...
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house tickets...
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid friendly
- Utah company films aerial video of renovated...
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Kyle Van Noy and...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 123
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 106
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 68
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford... 62
- BYU football: Cougars announce future... 53
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 51
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 29